• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front subframe tie rods

rapandi

Hi team,

i am installing brand new two side tie rods and the one new centre tie rod on my fro t subframe. 

I have read the forum and have also checked RealOem. It shows the use of a rubber washer on the centre tie rod and a dust cap.   Item 10 and 11 below pic. 

22DBC1A4-5621-43E3-8E81-06E69238CE15.thumb.jpeg.7c6d46b56b601d72de94438771bbef05.jpeg

My new centre tie rod did not come with either of these. My original tie rods don’t have the dust cap either. 

1) Can these be be installed without the dust cap and rubber washer? 

A47B1E55-4922-471D-9753-FF31269C137E.thumb.jpeg.3e2aa9489c3530ea19024852d93a94fd.jpeg

2) For the outter tie rods the factory manual says to have the centre of the rod ends spaced at a distance of 361mm as a first guess. I take it after I install these I will have to carry out a wheel alignment? And therefore the outter tie rods will have to be readjusted? 

Thank you

Regards

Raj

Edited by rapandi

Raj

1972 BMW 2002 Tii - Golf Yellow

I will answer backwards....

2) Yes you will be best served by getting an alignment once the front suspension is back together. You can/should eyeball the straightest you can and the dimension given is a good reference. Also, I am told trying to have the same number of threads exposed on each end of the outer rods is a good starting point too once you zero in on the number they spec'd as a starting point.

1) Lots of discussion about this in the FAQ and you might search for a few more pictures, but it seems that SOME manufacturers have a smooth dust cap that could be kept in place, but other manufacturers ship with a dust cap that has sharp hard ridges on the inside. Mine came with that type and I convinced myself (others agreed) that this was NOT MEANT to stay in place and would tear up the rubber boot for sure. Probably just a shipping piece meant to be tossed. 

So I tossed that... but mine also came with a round dense felt washer, maybe 1.5" in diameter and 1/4" thick that I soaked in oil and then applied that to the 

joint. I *think* this came with the center link I ordered, but that was many years ago. The point was to keep dirt out of that joint and it would also compress as needed when you torque down the crown nut to spec.

But like I said, you can spend hours following some of the posts. I will try to dig up some pix and my old port, but need to drink more coffee before I do that :)

Randy 

Update - Found link - Also seems no boot under this joint.. ignore what I said about that. Confused with soe other joint :)

Edited by worzella
  • Like 1

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com

Raj, 

I definitely have the orange washer. Don't remember or see a dust cover and my subframe isn't here to check but you can zoom in to see. 

Plus, I equalized each outer tie rod in preparation for the eventual alignment.

I'd get that washer.

20170226_161504.jpeg

Edited by NYNick

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS