• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slip & Slide

ingramlee

Hi Folks,

Last year I bought a set of Kumho Solus Ta11 185/70/R13. I probably have about 4K miles on them now. This past weekend's weather was nasty and wet. This was also the first time I've really driven the car in the rain since putting on these tires. Boy was I shocked. My ass-end was slipping & sliding. Since its fall here and there are a lot of wet leaves on the ground, my hope is that the leaves were causing my slippage (I don't think so). Has anyone else had this problem with these particular tires? Any recommendations for a good all season 13 inch tire. Thanks... 

(1973 Fjord Blue 037) Vin 2588314- Build date February 6th, 1973- delivered to Hoffman Motors NYC February 8th.

I have the Kumho Solus KR21 in 185/70 13 and haven't had any issues at all. I push mine pretty hard. 

I'd have to look up the specs between the two to understand the differences. 

I hope that's helpful. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, irdave said:

Basic stuff- tire pressures and date codes?  Tire pressure too far one way or the other or if the tires are old- could be problems.

Dave,

I run 34 pressure all around. Maybe I should lower that a little. The tires are only a year old with 4K miles on them with about half of that driving to Mid-America last April.

(1973 Fjord Blue 037) Vin 2588314- Build date February 6th, 1973- delivered to Hoffman Motors NYC February 8th.

Thirty-four sounds like a lot.  Off the top of my head I'm in the mid to high 20's, both with 13's and 15's.  Anything higher felt really harsh for me.

Not saying this is the case, which it's probably not, but sometimes tires sit around for a bit before they get sold- so you may have only had them for a year, but they could be several years old.  There's often a date code on the tires in a 4 digit format (wk/yr).  Worth looking at just so you know.

• Like 3

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

10 minutes ago, irdave said:

Thirty-four sounds like a lot.  Off the top of my head I'm in the mid to high 20's

+1 on pressure being too high.  I've been running about 28-29 psi front and rear for many years, only increasing for the occasional autocross.  Try lowering a bit and see what happens...

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

11 minutes ago, irdave said:

Thirty-four sounds like a lot.  Off the top of my head I'm in the mid to high 20's, both with 13's and 15's.  Anything higher felt really harsh for me.

Not saying this is the case, which it's probably not, but sometimes tires sit around for a bit before they get sold- so you may have only had them for a year, but they could be several years old.  There's often a date code on the tires in a 4 digit format (wk/yr).  Worth looking at just so you know.

I'll tinker with the pressure and check the date code when I get home tonight.

My ass-end was slipping & sliding.

Tighten your seat belt!

heh

Also, next dry day, give it a bit of welly.

Tires get a skin of really hard rubber on

the surface, and it's like grease on wet pavement.

Grind that off, and they stick better.

I have some Toyos on the ti that make me a rally champ.  At 25mph.  

I think they're made out of the same material that the Slip-n-Slide is made out of...

t

sns.jpg

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL