• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A few newbie questions

Roverguy

Picked up my 02 last week.  Been doing some sorting out.  It has not been driven much in the last few years, so working on cleaning up the fuel system.

Two hopefully simple questions:

Is there a separate key to lock the trunk?

What is the green light next to the Hazard switch above the radio?

I have the owner's manual, but it's pretty thin on info.

I should be receiving my shop manuals within the next day or so.

A few pics.

Please don't kill me on the blingy bottle caps, those gotta go!

My pup on his first ride, he's usually in the back of my 4Runner or Jeep, so he is not sure about the back seat thing yet.

Thanks for any input.

p.s. can you pick out what's parked next to it in the garage?

20180729_102219.jpg

20180730_161658.jpg

20180729_102156(1).jpg

Edited by Roverguy

G. Hamilton

North of Boston

'74 02 - Former Cali car

Tdh

Good eyes, yes, it's a '70 that I'm doing a rolling resto on.

This will be my 4th Triumph.

Had 2 TR250s, before they were stupid expensive (late 70s) and a TR 3 that was close to a basket case.

This is a pretty rust free car

G. Hamilton

North of Boston

'74 02 - Former Cali car

13 minutes ago, Roverguy said:

It's a blank, no switch, I have front fog switch on lh side of dash.

Maybe I'll wire my elect cooling fan to that when I install.

Note word "optional."  Not all cars were so equipped.  You mentioned "light" suggesting a live switch.  However, some cars came with an easily removed "dummy" switch. ? 

Remove the trunk lock cylinder and you will find a key code number there (I think it's 5 digits).  Any good locksmith can cut you a new key from their own stock blanks.  As Echappe noted, it is a very different lock cylinder from the door locks so I doubt you can exchange a door lock cylinder for the factory trunk cylinder. 

To remove the trunk cylinder you have to twist off the threaded holder on the inside of the trunk (may need vise grips to for this), it threads into or onto the chrome fitting on the outside of the trunk which surrounds the key opening in the cylinder.  The cylinder comes out and you find the code engraved on the side.

7 hours ago, Roverguy said:

Oh, and I'll see if my locksmith can re set tumblers for trunk to door.

As has been pointed out, that's not gonna happen...completely different locks and keys.

Your garage is way too neat and clean--we dare not let our spouses see it or we'll get a ration!

Welcome to the '02 fraternity/sorority.  BTW my Dad had the Triumph dealership in Orlando FL back in 1957/58, selling small mouth TR3s and Triumph 10 sedans.  Unfortunately I wasn't quite old enough to drive yet...would have loved to try a TR3.

mike

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite