• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

valve covers

Hans

Suggest you check you check the oil spray bar.  The mounting brackets are right down on the head, no washers under the mounting brackets.  Mounting brackets not bent.  How about a photo detail of the spraybar installation?

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

On 8/6/2018 at 12:09 PM, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Perhaps you could relieve the rib to gain clearance?

(just grind back the part that is touching)

Odd one on the right. There is a lot of metal over the oil sprayer bar. But this must have worked at some point - I can't figure out what changed, other than gasket thickness.

20180807_181919_resized.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 8/6/2018 at 12:35 PM, visionaut said:

Hans -- sorry to ask, since you likely checked this already — but there’s no way the sprayer bar is incorrectly positioned, thus sitting too high in front? 

I'll recheck but seems to me it was squeezed down against the head. 

Edited by Hans
spelling

That cover’s a totally different size (length)!.. another engine than an M10??

i have a hard time believing that EVER fit an M10 - but I have no idea if a1600 head is smaller that way (but I doubt it).  Baffled.

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

3 hours ago, visionaut said:

i have a hard time believing that EVER fit an M10 - but I have no idea if a1600 head is smaller that way (but I doubt it).  Baffled.

I assumed that was just a crazy optical illusion. It does look significantly smaller. 

• Haha 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

9 hours ago, visionaut said:

I’m assuming it’s just at a slightly different angle to the camera from the “long version” on the left....

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

10 hours ago, Conserv said:

I’m assuming it’s just at a slightly different angle to the camera from the “long version” on the left...

Yeah, I know - but that pic is definitely from a weird view.  But look to those ribs on the right — it’s like they go straight across (!) — maybe for a non-OHC, 7/8-scale M-10...  ?

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

2 hours ago, visionaut said:

Yeah, I know - but that pic is definitely from a weird view.  But look to those ribs on the right — it’s like they go straight across (!) — maybe for a non-OHC, 7/8-scale M-10...  ?

I agree: I have never seen valve cover ribs that were straight across....

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Some of the newer gaskets are thinner. If you use the old style acorn nuts, especially with the wrong thickness washers, you may break the nut tops or not have correct torque on the cover when fastened.

My $0.02.

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

On 8/6/2018 at 8:23 AM, jgerock said:

Hans - are you sure the valve cover nuts are compressing the cover and gasket enough to seal?

I re-used old valve cover nuts (the dome type) on my 72tii engine and it leaked like crazy from the lower gasket areas.  The leakage went away when I substituted standard hex nuts (and recently I replaced the hex nuts with new BMW dome nuts with the integral washer).

I switched to regular nuts and washers, but I think I was just torquing the cover down onto the sprayer bar rather than the gasket at the front.