• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DCOE float level setting

Hans

So I'm trying to confirm the float level setting on my Spanish 40 DCOEs. As I understand, I'm looking for 14 mm at the bottom of the float (with floats hanging from vertical cover). My floats each have a little plastic nub right where the 14 mm dowel starts to squeeze between the float and the cover. Where is the dowel supposed to be for the measurement?

Not necessarily, but the middle of the float is where you should measure from based on the above video.

Not sure the ideal height for plastic floats, as I have brass in my car. A quick google search will likely yield you the info you're looking for thou.

I saw that 12.5 mm at the tip (I assume the tip furthest from the hinge) recommendation, but that is where the little plastic nubs stick out of the float - sort of like the seams on the brass floats. I also saw 14 mm there on some vendor page. Anybody seen those nubs? Or 12 mm mid point?

...for brass.  

I used the google-  measure from the flat, NOT the seam.

I keep finding 12mm, Hans, not 14mm.  But there's a 'window' where different

emulsions like to work, so while the float level is GOSPEL, it's also adjustable

to a degree you have to determine by testing. 

Likewise, fuel slosh on (lefhand?) corners can really mess with you-

from the Alfas that were beating me, I learned to cover a small part of the float 

chamber to keep fuel out of the air correctors...

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?64306-Weber-40-45-DCOE-Experts-Proper-Float-Level

was fun.

as well.

t

weber_dcoe_spanish_plastic_float_setting_data (1).jpg

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I’ve never messed with measuring it while it’s hanging any way outside of the bowl in my 11 years of DCOE use.  It’s way too inaccurate, and easy enough to measure actual fuel level, which is what really counts.  The posts on the apex link outline the process.  Pop off cap and remove main jet holder, and let car idle.  Put a stick of some sort down the main jet hole, I’ve used twigs I’ve found sitting around.  See where it gets wet, and measure that distance from top of carb.  That apex link says 25mm, which seems right ballpark.  I was thinking 24mm, but not sure.  I probably have some posts on it before if you search.

if it’s not right, pop float out and adjust a hair, then re-test.  

If fuel level isn’t high enough, car is gonna stumble real bad if you really hammer on it in some curves.

if fuel level is too high, then it’s gonna stumble when you hammer on it as well, hah.  When it’s too high it sloshes over into barrels and floods it out, I think.  

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser