• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for my old '68 Sunroof 02

I owned this '68 verona sunroof 2002 for a while in the early 2000's in the SF Bay Area. I sold it in 2004, still kind of regret it... but it was the right call at the time -- I didn't have garage space for it and it had a bad maaco paint job with rust bubble starting to go nuts, and outside wasn't the place for it and i didn't have funds to do paint/body work. 

I bought it from the original owner, and I've always wondered what happened to it. I subsequently left the Bay Area to move to Minneapolis, so haven't been able to see it on the roads anywhere, assuming it's still in the Bay Area.

Anybody seen this one around?

100_4865.jpg

100_4889.jpg

--

'73 Sahara numbers matching 

'74 Mintgrun sunroof car w/ oem Golde deflector, euro bumpers, 5spd, owned since 2002

Sunroof ‘68?  Very special!

Unusual radio placement on front parcel shelf.  Passenger seat, with headrest, did not arrive on these shores until January 1, 1969 or later, so probably replaced a worn original (driver’s seat is obviously not an ‘02 item).

Given how complete and attractive it looks ca. 2004, I’m betting it’s still around....

Good luck,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 1 month later...

Wow, not sure how I missed these responses. Oops! and thank you!

@mike that's a good question... I have a hundred or so photos and looking... yes! VIN is 1663226

@Conserv good eye! the radio on the parcel shelf is the original from the car that I had (for some reason I don't recall) put there when I took the photo. passenger seat (as is the drivers) are replacements. I got the original seats with the car too.

I'm still kicking myself on selling this one... at the time it was the right thing to do: rust in the rockers, bad paint job with bubbling rust, no protected area to park it to keep these to a minimum when I couldn't address them, two young kids and other projects, etc... life! :)

Hopefully it ended up somewhere good. I just found a bunch of pictures I took at the time, and I know ho much this crew enjoys photos, so have a look:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/157803913@N06/albums/72157668164853778

100_4954.jpg

Edited by otto

--

'73 Sahara numbers matching 

'74 Mintgrun sunroof car w/ oem Golde deflector, euro bumpers, 5spd, owned since 2002

Love the headliner, anyone got anything on that? Have never seen one like that. That car should be alive, but I saw so many at pic pull that died unloved. Should of bought em all at 300 dollars, so sad?

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

My first o2 was bought in 95, complete car but for a carb and rad, 275 dollars  and she tossed in those two parts. 75 k later I sold it to the dad's daughter who gave her a good home. 

Pic n pull has been good, it wasn't a problem of finding parts, it was a question of which part to use or which part to sell on eBay. I was a spoiled Bavarian Brat, need turn signal lenese? Your choice round or sqware? Def was a different world, venders now say with the value of the car, I say KMA.

Turner Motorsport said your e36 is an old car, I said let's talk 1600s and o2s. He hung up, nuf  said, I'm rantin. 

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

looks like it would be a nice restoration project. My neighbor has a Verona sitting in his car port, not running, hasn't been on the road in 12 year. has a little rust. His old wheels are on my '74. The Verona is a nice color red, named after an Italian town too. quite fitting in the land of Ferrari, Alfa Romeo and Fiat.

Edited by joebarthlow

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)

Great and complete car. I’d bet it’s still around.

VIN 1663226 was likely manufactured in early September 1968, making it a very early 1969 model.

And that’s a good set of photos you still have.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

7 hours ago, dbmw2002 said:

Love the headliner, anyone got anything on that? Have never seen one like that. That car should be alive, but I saw so many at pic pull that died unloved. Should of bought em all at 300 dollars, so sad?

That's the good ole perforated headliner...I got one put in my car in TJ for $100.