• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Meyle Guibo's Rubbish?

Sharktrainer

I was reading an article a few years ago about a guy with a souped-up 650i.  He was smoking his tires and actually torqued his driveshaft into a pretzel.  He had to have a custom driveshaft made that was beefier (solid).    What I thought was interesting is that he must have been using a guibo that was made of titanium or something since it did not tear out before his driveshaft did.  

Looking at what is left of you guibo above, I start to question the quality of these things.  It looks as though the rubber is only providing a thing cover around the steel bolt reinforcements creating a really good opportunity for tear-out.  It just doesn't look right.   Was this a Meyle or something else?   If it was a quality brand part, I would offer it to them as a part to autopsy.   

Edited by Hodgepodge

Current: '74 2002,75 2002, 88 E28 M5(2), 92 E34 M5, 02 E39 M5, 01 E39T M5, 08 E93 328i, 08 E61 535i, 09 E93 335i, 09 E91 328ix, 12 E70 3.5i  '67 Alfa Romeo Spider; '69 Alfa Romeo Spider, '08 Dodge 1500 SLT. Past BMWs: '74 2002tii, '74 2002, '76 E12 530i, '78 E12 528i, '85 E28 535is, '93 E34 528iT, '94 E34 528i, '99 E36 328ic (2) '99 E39 528iT, '03 E46 330i convt., '07 E90 328i

8 minutes ago, Sharktrainer said:

My last one on hand branded MTC. Hope it survives longer.

Don't count on it - another garbage manufacturer.  Best of luck!

• Like 2

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

5 hours ago, John_in_VA said:

Don't count on it - another garbage manufacturer.  Best of luck!

John is correct.  MTC flex discs are subpar.  The six bolt one I installed in my tii didn't last 1 test drive. I bought it from BavAuto - website said febi but I received MTC.  

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

13 hours ago, Sharktrainer said:

Another one bites the dust, heh! Was yoking it pretty hard on 16 pounds of boost. Gonna have to go with solid. 

B)

IMG_5802.jpg

Per prior comments, there may have been some wisdom in factory's decision to equip their larger (more powerful) and heavier) vehicles with a larger rubber coupling.  It appears that your intended use far exceeds the joint's design parameters, regardless of manufacturer.  The larger, six-bolt solid rubber variant may also prove unable to handle your intended application, but it would be a step in the right direction.  Unfortunately, it would mean modifying your drive shaft and trans output shaft to accept the different style joint.  Needless to say, the reinforced version of the larger six bolt joint should be considerably stronger than the solid donut style, and if you can get a reliable warranty on a supposedly more durable urethane version, even better.  At that point your biggest concern might be color choice. :huh:

883412_x800.jpg

975ecaes-960.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=537934&stc=1

pfxinstalled.jpg

This constant issue might be remedied by having a custom driveshaft made to handle your HP/Torque values coming out of your engine/trans and the load going through the diff, axles and OD tire size.  The Guibo was designed and installed as the sacrificial part for the driveline, as protection form the rest of the components.  If your CV joint at your rear axle are doing ok, you can  attach /fabricate one to the output flange of your trans like BMW had on the later models.  Big HP and Torque comes with big parts to handle it.  I am curious to know  your HP / Torque values at the rear wheels on a Dyno.

I hope you also the Big brakes.

My humble $.02

Good Luck with the fix.

Matt

I'm replacing a FEBI $46 (on left in picture below) after about 5K miles/one driving season.  New BMW guibo/flex disc/universal joint on right (List price is $155!) will be installed.

I think I do have alignment issues with the driveshaft flange and Getrag 245 flange as they are not perfectly parallel when viewing the rotation.  I shimmed down the driveshaft center bushing as far as possible to still leave a few threads for the nut/heatshield/2nd nut so I'll see if that helps the life span of the BMW guibo. 

GUUIBO comparo OEM vs FEBI.JPG

76 '02 5spd.  stage2  Kerman build

00 Z3M Coupe

10 328iT ZMP 6spd

Elfhearse,   From the image, they look identical.  Are they?  Any numbers or markings on the other side?  They are also much different than the Meyle and others that are more donut shaped (rouned edges).  

This is reminding me to double check alignment when I put my drivetrain back together.   

Current: '74 2002,75 2002, 88 E28 M5(2), 92 E34 M5, 02 E39 M5, 01 E39T M5, 08 E93 328i, 08 E61 535i, 09 E93 335i, 09 E91 328ix, 12 E70 3.5i  '67 Alfa Romeo Spider; '69 Alfa Romeo Spider, '08 Dodge 1500 SLT. Past BMWs: '74 2002tii, '74 2002, '76 E12 530i, '78 E12 528i, '85 E28 535is, '93 E34 528iT, '94 E34 528i, '99 E36 328ic (2) '99 E39 528iT, '03 E46 330i convt., '07 E90 328i

1 hour ago, elfhearse said:

I shimmed down the driveshaft center bushing as far as possible to still leave a few threads for the nut/heatshield/2nd nut so I'll see if that helps the life span of the BMW guibo. 

To get my alignment I had to bend the mounting ears on the center bearing so the bearing hung low enough.  Otherwise I wouldn't have had enough bolt either.  Bending process was unorthodox in that I rolled the bearing over and used the floor jack to press the ears to where I needed them.  Then I rolled the bearing to the correct position and bolted up, still needed some shims.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

From the image, they look identical.

Hodgepodge: First image below is the new BMW guibo complete with Roundel,  second is the "FEBI" that lasted 5K miles.  These are for an e21 auto and used on my 5-speed conversion, not the standard 2002 guibo.

Otherwise I wouldn't have had enough bolt either

jimk: If I shim the center bearing down with enough washers it looks parallel but no threads for heat shield remain.  Thinking about wrapping the IE exhaust/muffler with DEI titanium heat shield ILO the factory heat shield.

GUIBO-BMW.JPG

GUIBO Febi.JPG

76 '02 5spd.  stage2  Kerman build

00 Z3M Coupe

10 328iT ZMP 6spd