• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Loving my "new" '73 Tii...but for that rodent smell

M5280RCR

It is not difficult at all.  Just time consuming because while it is out, one should clean, rebuild or repair it.  While it is out, you want to check the condition of the heater hoses.  Some cars will have rust around the opening because BMW used open cell foam as a gasket.  Open cell foam is like a sponge.  There are some really good instructions for the procedure on this site.   Removing it is nothing to be afraid of.

43 minutes ago, j2002tii said:

Removing it is nothing to be afraid of.

Removing it tends to be the least of your troubles.  If mice have set up house in the box it will require disassembly to remove the detritus.  Since you have to take it apart anyway you might as well completely rebuild if you live in an area where it gets cold or the windshield gets fogged up regularly.  If the heater is not necessary or you need to use the car while it is out you can seal up the opening in the trough with some waterproof material and run a bypass hose between the heater box inlet and outlet hoses.

Heater Box Mice (1).jpg

20180127_101802.jpg

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

Still trying to avoid the heater box deal, so I pulled the fuse box out and found pink insulation and nuts etc.  I assume the insulation in not factory installed, but rather rodent installed.  I'll see of removing the insulation help.  Otherwise, i look forward to seeing how easy the heater box removal really is :-)

'73 Riviera Tii

'93 M5 Dinan stroker, etc...

'08 M3 ESS 625 s/c'er, etc..

'64 Stingray

I am having so much fun with this project I had to share more.  After pulling up seats, the pedal box, fuse box and cleaning carpets (the later three all showing evidence of mousey intruders), I finally got ahold of a $21 Endoscope (what a deal), with a light and magnet included.  So I shove that sucker through the fan assembly, through vents etc,, and voila; perhaps the pictures below are related to the source of the smell in my car; ya think?

So, thanks to everyone who encouraged me to tackle this project, I have my heater hoses disconnected (the one on the driver side was a bitch to get off) the glove box and steering wheel shrouds and center consul are all out and I have the heater box bolts off; but now there are two heater cables I need to figure out how to disconnect (I ran out of time Sunday night).  Any tips on final removal of the cables, or anything else that might hang it up?

Then I get to open the box, eliminate the smelly f*ucker, and have the heater core evaluated by a radiator shop.  Thanks to everyone above for the words of encouragement, as well as whoever wrote up the technical write up that I have been using throughout this process.

smell.jpg

smell2.jpg

• Like 1

'73 Riviera Tii

'64 Stingray

Awesome!  At least you found the source and can clean it up.  No joke about the Adams products.  www.adamspolishes.com  They are better, faster, easier to use than any other products I have used in the last 45 years or so.  Do not remove the cables from the heater box.  Rather, remove the heater controls from the dash.  They come out from the inside with one screw behind the silver control lever faces.

Yes, exactly.   Now you need to pull off the black knobs on the slide levers.  May need to pull hard.  Once those are off you will pull the faceplates out.  Be very careful doing this as not to damage the dash or bend the faceplates.  I like to use a cotter pin puller to pull the faceplates gently from the slots.  There is nothing holding them in but friction.  Once the faceplates are removed, you will see a single small hole in the middle of the bottom of the opening.  There is a Phillips head screw in there.  Remove the screws and pull the control and cables out the back.  Again, nothing is hard to do.  Just be patient and careful.

Thanks Ray,

This is awesome.  Someone else posted a similar link , but it wasn't as clean as this and the pictures were not included.  Very helpful, I'm almost 50% there, page 8 of 19 ?

'73 Riviera Tii

'64 Stingray

• 2 weeks later...

So, final update.  The sickening smell, that several people assumed was from the heater box, they were right.  The amount of pink insulation and number of family members was to say the least, disgusting.  If anyone wants me to post a picture, I would be glad to, but you better make sure you've eaten already (cause it will cause you to lose your appetite).

'73 Riviera Tii

'64 Stingray

13 minutes ago, M5280RCR said:

So, final update.  The sickening smell, that several people assumed was from the heater box, they were right.  The amount of pink insulation and number of family members was to say the least, disgusting.  If anyone wants me to post a picture, I would be glad to, but you better make sure you've eaten already (cause it will cause you to lose your appetite).

We love rodents 

ratatouilleparisbig.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"