• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OEM seat belt question

Tomhae

Hello folks,

I am still new to these cars. I have these "Auto Flug" seat belts in my 1970.  I was wondering if a) these are original or have been changed,  and  b ) where can I get a replacement for a broken one? 

Thanks for any help!

Kevin

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

What do their data labels say?  Below is a data label from an April 1972 Autoflug ("1972 /  4").  Most Autoflugs are dated on the manufacturer's label.

I tend to expect Klippans on the early cars, Autoflugs on the middle cars (most '72's and '73's), and Repas on the late cars (late '73-ish through the end of production).  But I don't have dependable cut-off dates or VIN's.

Regards,

Steve

IMG_2306.JPG

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

A US spec '70 would not have come with inertia reel seat belts such as you picture.  More likely it came with Klippan "loop style" shoulder harness belts that both clipped to a chrome-plated steel loop that was bolted to the tunnel housing.  

They were an improvement over the 68-69 "spaghetti" belts, but not much.  The inertia reel belts that arrived in 1972 were much better, and lots of '02s (including my '69) were retrofitted with inertia reel belts.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

That is a later model buckle, probably from a 1974. They had a harder plastic head which tend to separate across seals. Early buckles will also work. I have some but keep them for my rebuilds since they are getting harder to find in good condition. Put an WTB add at FAQ classifieds. 

7 hours ago, HBChris said:

I think Klippans with the red buttons are from a later 70s BMW.  Early ones have a silver sticker with red dot.

As in the April 1972 Autoflug below (I suspect Chris meant to say Autoflug, or did Klippans follow the same trajectory?).

Regards,

Steve

image.jpg

Edited by Conserv

The Autoflug  receivers are the same, so is the buckle, you can use either.  All belts use a standard 7/16 SAE bolt with 17mm head.  Or you can use Repas which are easier to find.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

9 minutes ago, Tomhae said:

So a Repas receptacle will be interchangeable with my existing belts?

No.  But sets of Repas are easier to find because they began late during the 1973 model year and continued through the end of U.S. model production, high volume years.

Regards,

Steve