• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

crank for 30 seconds before starting..

prezucha

Hi all,

My '67 1600-2 used to start better than any of my cars.  Instantly fire up.  Now I have to crank for 30 seconds or more before it fires up.  Once it fires it runs fine.  My guess is that it is not getting fuel quickly.  The fuel filter (new) seems to have very little fuel in it.  I also see bubbles sometimes coming in with the fuel.  The car has a mechanic fuel pump.  Could the fuel pump be the culprit?  But the car runs fine after it starts...

Here is a shot of the fuel filter with car running.

Thanks in advance!

Paul

fuel filter.jpg

Try putting an fuel anti-back flow valve in the trunk fuel line.  I would definitely check all your connections and put hose clamps on them too.  Air seeping into the fuel lines can cause the pump to have to first pump out the air before it can pump fuel.

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

Definitely need hose clamps on all fuel line connections. 

Check the lines in the trunk, especially. The line that attaches to the sender should have a small plastic liner... Sometimes that becomes cracked and will draw air. You can use a 1" section of the plastic fuel line from inside the trunk to replace it. 

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Yep, my filter had bubbles... but when I replaced the hard plastic (cracked) sleeve on the fuel sender, (easy fix), the bubbles disappeared and the car started quickly. Also solved the gas fumes in the trunk.

Note: the gas fumes only occur after you shut off the engine. The fuel in the line flows back to the sender and leaks out the cracked sleeve.

Here's what zinz and John76 are referring to.  It is the white nylon adapter that fits on the fuel sender.  You can just cut off a short piece of the existing nylon tubing that runs from the trunk to the engine compartment if it is still in good condition.  If that tubing is aging, you should also replace the entire length.  Again, W&N are a good source.  If you just need a short piece, I can send you one.

20170421_120547.jpg

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

Also if you find any cloth covered fuel lines replace them as they form cracks in the rubber that you can't see due to the cloth.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Thank you all for responding!  I haven't had a chance to check since posting.  I will definitely check all hoses and install hose clamps everywhere.  Thanks again for your inputs!

I will post my findings...  I am pretty sure all the hoses are original.

Paul