• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2017 Spring Sprints Video is Posted

5911c2bc7139b_34@Seattle2017.thumb.jpg.3c20925bcd6cfe60edb577c8b2f90ba8.jpg

I raced my Hyde Park Motors Trans-Am 2002 at the SOVREN Spring Sprints weekend before last. Despite not having the right diff ratio for Pacific Raceway (8,000 rpm BEFORE crossing Start/Finish!) I managed to finish in the top 6 in all 4 races. Thanks to Bill Wagenblatt from historicmotorprints.com for the image.

Thanks for watching, and don't forget to subscribe, leave a comment, or a 'Like.'

1971 NSU 1200 TT           http://www.msportvintage.com                 

1990 E30 M3 1/60 JTCC Racer 1972 HPK 2002 Racer

1975 GS Tuning 2002      1965 BMW 1800TiSA- #193

1971 BMW 2002                1973 BMW CSL      

Really great video! Nice job on the editing. 

The rocker arms! Just think of the rocker arms! Oh the humanity!!!!

john

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

3 hours ago, jim57759 said:

Great racing!  How does this car compare with your Blu/Wht '02 race cars?

Hi Jim,

This 02 has always been a race car. It is very old school. It is old enough to have a long neck diff so alternate ratios are more difficult to come by. The diff is also welded so the car likes to go straight. Driving it around in the paddock is a real pain. It likes to just be tossed into the corner, and then add power to the point of breaking the rear loose.

My other 02 was built for me by Racecraft about 5 years ago. It has much more modern stuff under it. It is very predictable and forgiving. They both have their unique charm and their personality.

1 hour ago, markmac said:

Great Video as usual Steve.  What gear set were you running?

Hi Mark,

I think it is a 4.10.

Will you be attending the Sonoma races in June? If so, stop by and say hello!

Interesting, I would have thought you would have been good at most tracks with that gear set.  The car sounded great really.  I had to squint a bit at your "offroading adventure" ... it looked like a pretty smooth run-off, i was thinking though my car would probably be minus the front spoiler + body damage in the same circumstance.

Currently I am planning on it (Sonoma races that is) either Friday if I can escape the man (work) if not Saturday.  Look forward to seeing your cars as always.....next year my turn!

What a glorious noise !! 

Fantastic stuff; it always makes me smile. 

Keep up the good work. 

Ed Z

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Great too see the Hyde Park car. Was this Rug's Car? I have seen this one at Monterey and Coronado Island. It sounds fantastic. Any Chance you will bring it down to Speed week on the island in September?

Thanks

Vince. 

Edited by vinceg14

11 hours ago, vinceg14 said:

Great too see the Hyde Park car. Was this Rug's Car? I have seen this one at Monterey and Coronado Island. It sounds fantastic. Any Chance you will bring it down to Speed week on the island in September?

Thanks

Vince. 

Hi Vince,

Yes this was the lead car of the 2 car team Rug bought from Hyde Park Motors in the early 1970's. He sold the original #35 car and built another #35 car that he raced through the 1970's and 1980's. The original team car to mine is now owned by Tim Brecht. I got these 2 cars in trade for my Jagermeister CSL from Jeff Gerken, who worked for Rug for many years and bought the cars from his estate. I sold my #35 to Boris Said who is now racing it occasionally.

I'm sorry to have to tell you but the Coronado race is no more. The Fleet Week group that was putting it on pulled the plug this past winter. I've heard several reasons why, all having to do with $$$.

One last thing I should mention about this car is that it had a really kluged transmission in it that was developed by Bill Shlosnnagel (sp?) It has a mixture of Audi, BMW, and Porsche parts in a Getrag case. As Bill is getting along in years we sent it to him for one last re-build before putting it on the shelf. We have put one of the re-pro ZF transmissions out of England in the car. It looks exactly like the old ZF that was homologated for the 2002, but has modern internals. It is a great transmission with great ratios and a very positive shift feel.