• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windshield wiper woes

jjt

Hello fellow enthusiasts, I need your help. I have pulled out enough hair on this problem and need to try something else.

In short, my wiper motor will not shut off. I have tried wiper multiple motors, multiple relays and multiple wiper control arms. Car is a 1973.

The only thing left I can think of is the ignition switch is faulty somehow.

Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thx!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Have you checked the wiper speed switch on the dash and on/off stalk? Wires may be crossed/loose at the base of the stalk. This is a common problem- also with turn signals.

Has someone moved the original position of the stalk on your 73 from right to left on the column?

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Have you checked the wiper speed switch on the dash and on/off stalk? Wires may be crossed/loose at the base of the stalk. This is a common problem- also with turn signals.

Has someone moved the original position of the stalk on your 73 from right to left on the column?

Good one. I have not checked the switch. It works between slow and fast but did not check for loose wires. The turn stalk is on the right side.

Isn't there an issue where the parking switch within the motor is out of adjustment so that it keeps running as it never thinks the wipers get back to parked? Search on wiper parking or we hang on until Mike ( Self) gets here. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Mike Self has written an article about wipers that won't shut off.

Unfortunately he is busy at Mid America this weekend, but he usually offers to send the article, if you send him a PM.

There is a link to the PDF/article in this post.

Here is Toby's advice on the same topic, from five years ago

... and an excerpt from the PDF linked above

On 5/10/2014 at 9:43 AM, rms_sandiego said:

The parking mechanism itself is in the wiper motor and there are connections that can break and be repaired. The following is from the end of the pdf of Mike Self's Roundel column that is embedded in the post I linked. I haven't tried to open a wiper motor so am just passing the information on...

"It's easy to check the parking mechanism. Remove the wiper motor and find the large (Coke can diameter) sheet steel plate with three screws around the perimeter and a single screw with lock nut in the center. This plate also has two wires leading out of it. On the inside end of these two wires are the two contact arms. Make sure (1) both wires are still soldered to their contacts (2) the contact arms inside are both intact and (3) they're making contact with their circular tracks (and the tracks aren't messed up). This is the problem I had with my 69. A new contact plate cured the problem. I was able to re-solder the broken contact arm on the old one and kept it for a spare. If

you have to do the latter, solder carefully so as not to melt the plastic insulating ring that the wire passes through to reach the contact arm."

Thanks for replying. I tried another wiper motor with the same results...always on. Maybe that one also has a bad parking mechanism. I will open up the spare one to see if something looks off and then try to test it.

Thanks again for replying and I will let you know how it goes.

• 3 years later...

I have reinstalled my wiper motor and it works, but now it parks in mid sweep. Is there a way to adjust the park position without removing the wiper motor and mechanism?

Also, if I have to remove the wiper motor and wiper mechanism, will it fit past the heater blower and the bar that locks down the hood?

Michael

Unfortunately, the wiper motor parks midway between the sweep, which means that if I let it park and installed the wipers, they try to go below the bottom of the windshield. To keep the wiper on the windshield, the wiper would park at a 45 degree angle to the bottom of the window.

Michael