• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recaro help and brackets

kmoy2002

Picked up a set of Recaros to put in my 02 from a VW guy who pulled them from an 02. Now, I know they fit in the 02 but the previous owner trashed the brackets since they didn't work in his VW. I am planning on recovering the set but have a few questions before I begin.

• Are these 320is seats? They have the BMW logo screened on the top but the seat bottom only has 4 mounting holes where most other 320is Recaro seats have 6.
  • Will these brackets from Aardvark work for me? Or are these brackets for the 6 hole seats? Holes are 16" center to center left to right and 10.25" center to center front to back.
    Link here:
    https://www.2002parts.com/bmw/recaro-seat-parts/rec-bracket-02.html
  • How do you remove the backrest knob (the pull knob that tilts the seat forward)? Just pull it out?
  • How do I undo the cable that unlatches the seat? Looks like a bicycle cable end
  • Most reupholster threads talk about hog rings but the clips on these seats don't look like hog rings except where the elastic webbing is affixed. What kind of tool do I need for these "C" looking rings?
  • How do you remove the vinyl on the headrest?
  • How do you remove the plastic guide for the headrest pins? Just pry that plastic cap off?

Thanks for the help.

Vy0XXH3.jpg

366hQFa.jpg

woaUnRh.jpg

'73 2002tii Fjord Metallic Blue

'14 i3 Laurel Gray Metallic

9 hours ago, kmoy2002 said:
  • Are these 320is seats? They have the BMW logo screened on the top but the seat bottom only has 4 mounting holes where most other 320is Recaro seats have 6.

Yep, they're E21 (320is) seats.  I have a similar pair in my basement and IIRC they have four mounting holes.  Also IIRC I was able to bolt a pair of 2002 seat tracks right up to the Recaro seat frames.  If not, get a pair of 320 brackets and bolt the 2002 tracks to the 320 brackets.  I do remember it was an easy task.

9 hours ago, kmoy2002 said:

Most reupholster threads talk about hog rings but the clips on these seats don't look like hog rings except where the elastic webbing is affixed. What kind of tool do I need for these "C" looking rings?

Those C rings just pull out.  Grasp with a pair of needle-nose pliers and pull 'em straight up.  

Can't help with your other questions but lots of folks on the board can.  

mike

PS--those fabric straps on the seat bottom--and the foam--both look like candidates for replacement...

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I've reupholstered a couple of pair of these so can help with some of your questions:

1. Yes, the backrest knob on the side of the seat just pulls off with a decent tug. Then the plastic piece that it essentially rides in also will pop out.

2. The cable typically has a crimp at the bottom end that keeps it in place, almost like a small tube pressed over it. I have sliced through it and then unrolled it to remove, but I'm sure there are other ways of doing it.

3. I've seen multiple generations of this seat and the covers connect in different ways both underneath and "inside" where the side bolsters mount. Some use more hog rings than others. Even on the photo you posted you can see a couple of hog rings to bunch up the fabric in the corners. But, as Mike said, the C-shaped clips just pry out.

4. The headrest vinyl should have a bit of stiffening material sewn into each side (it will become obvious once you've taken it apart...) This stiffening material is then inserted into a metal channel the fits between the two posts of the headrest. It's a little tricky to get out, and even trickier to get back in, but basically becomes invisible once installed properly.

5. The headrest ring on the top of the seat back is held in place by another piece on the inside of the cover. Once you remove the cover it should be quite obvious how it is held on.

6. I've looked quite extensively for replacement side bolsters, but to no avail. The way I've tackled it is removing the damaged foam until I get to good firm stuff (a little like rust repair) and then try to create a somewhat flat surface to build upon. I then glue additional foam on, roughly shape with an electric carving knife, and then fine tune with a sander. It's hard to get the shape just perfect and smooth, but it's achievable with some time and patience. A couple of photos show the in-process work and how it turned out. I don't think you'd know how damaged that bolster was previously unless somebody told you.

bolster.JPG

seat.JPG

4 hours ago, pklym said:

If you happen to find side bolster replacement foam, let us all know! 

Supposed to fit with a little trimming. There is a how-to somewhere. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271107596377?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=570253021712&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me.