• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping parts from USA to Canada

rmoore007ri

UPS is more expensive, USPS is the least expensive I've found. Sent a steering wheel to British Columbia and shipping cost more than the wheel.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Those flat rate boxes are handy since you can skip the weight and measure steps, but I'd at least get quotes based on the specifics from USPS, FedEx and UPS.

When I don't care much about a specific delivery date I have also found DHL to be pretty cheap but very slow.  I haven't used them much for packages from the US, but I've gotten both deliveries from both asia and europe to ontario without breaking the bank.

Bottom line shipping to Canada sucks  Try not to use any of the big companies like UPS or FEDEX   The extra brokerage fees will do you in.   Try to use USPS as much as possible, shipping might be a touch higher but the the other fees that you don't get charged will more than make up for it.   The best solution is if you live close enough to the border, find a mail drop off store in the US and then go down and pick it up yourself and depending on howmuch it is, you may or not have to pay at the border. If you do, it is only taxes that you pay, no other fees.    I have been doing this for over 30 years and is by far the cheapest way  and you get to fill up on cheap US gas as well.

Thanks, Rick

I agree 110% with stephers! I live close to the border and have found that getting either a US po box or find shipping outlets in the small towns close to the border to be the fastest and cheapest way to go. The big shipping companies will rob you blind with their brokerage fees etc etc

If you are in Alberta I will gladly pick up your parcels and resend them for you - as long as your packages don't contain something they shouldn't lol

Edited by 2002newb

If you do need to send anything, better to use USPS because often Canada Post will just drop at your door. UPS and Fedex often whack you with a brokerage fee.

I suggest you try Canadian Tire first, or bigger parts chains.