• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door striker (2 types?)

D.martijn

Hello guys,

As I went through my parts pile I noticed I have two different types of door latch strikers laying around.

The left one (metal) came from the car (74 2002 Touring), but I'm wondering if the other (aluminium) striker is also correct period on or an early type one?

Cant find much about this on google/ the faq

Could some one elaborate on this?

thank you

IMG_20170307_165805_zps88ii59tb.jpg

Yeah, I think the cast aluminum is the early version- 

like you, I found one of the folded steel ones in a parts bin, and said, 'huh?'

But I parted a late '74 a long time back, and figured that's where the steel version came from.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

9 hours ago, conkitchen said:

FWIW: the 2002 version can break. The e21 320 version is stronger and works too.

Just my 02 cents 

8 hours ago, TobyB said:

Oh- is the steel one from a 320?  I have taken a few of those apart, too...

t

So if I would like to be period correct I should use the aluminium one?

I'll go ahead and replate the E21 strikers too, whenever an aluminium one might break I'll replace it.

Thanks!

• 3 years later...
On 3/8/2017 at 6:26 PM, TobyB said:

Oh- is the steel one from a 320?  I have taken a few of those apart, too...

On 3/8/2017 at 5:16 PM, conkitchen said:

FWIW: the 2002 version can break. The e21 320 version is stronger and works too.

Just my 02 cents 

Data point: In my experience, the steel ‘folded’ units are also found on late 2002’s (ie: the last four square taillight cars had the steel type). I’ve seen the early aluminum (pot metal?) units break, but not the stronger one. -KB

Looking at my microfilms and the PDF version of them, it would appear that the cast type are for VERY early cars, there are specific VIN changeovers.  Looking at this, these would be likely applicable to 1967 and 1968 cars - I didn't try to figure out the month of production for either Euro or North American spec cars.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gregory891 said:

Looking at my microfilms and the PDF version of them, it would appear that the cast type are for VERY early cars, there are specific VIN changeovers.  Looking at this, these would be likely applicable to 1967 and 1968 cars - I didn't try to figure out the month of production for either Euro or North American spec cars.

I have seen three versions:

1 - very-early cast version (these are smaller - 3 fasteners, if I recall correctly)

2 - ‘common’ design, cast / pot metal

3 - ‘common’ design, steel

(photo below of #2/3, that breakage is not uncommon) -KB

A891BC5E-FB27-4864-B977-DA9D35355957.thumb.jpeg.d3378db7a289819678094002cffe64f7.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

So, I bought new BMW OEM strikers for my '73 only to find that they are different than what was there. They are also different than the 3 shown in this post. 

The new ones are folded steel and appear to be reinforced on one side of the latch post.

I'm replacing the ones on the car because the posts are a bit worn. It doesn't totally bother me to have such a different design but it also does too, a little bit. 🙂 

Curious if the new style is all thats available or ?

IMG_0360.jpg.70770c26b37f8c96810b2ebdd7c6d50f.jpgIMG_0361.jpg.1fbfeac33b6b373b11ab5177cf8752e4.jpg

Edited by JsnPpp

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

Jason,

I’m not able to answer your question about new strikers, but re-plating the old strikers in clear zinc would make them look “just like new”. So there’s that option. 😉

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

2 hours ago, Conserv said:

Jason,

I’m not able to answer your question about new strikers, but re-plating the old strikers in clear zinc would make them look “just like new”. So there’s that option. 😉

Best regards,

Steve

Thanks Steve. I may end up going there! 

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

FYI, very early cars have the cast striker, the later one you received is the later improved safety version.  If you are restoring a car and want ALL details to be right, you have a choice.  Regardless, don't make the punter mistake and mix/match.  I'm finishing a long term restoration of a 1600 ti and all details needed to match, so I kept the cast style.