• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition switch short

russty75

Hello. My ignition switch does not give auxiliary power in the start position...the second click position. Radio and wipers work on the first click but not the second, before and after starting the engine. Borrowed the switch from my other 02 and everything works. At one time I could quarter turn the key and the power would return. Question: Is there something I can do to the switch to fix this? Thanks in advance.

It may be "crudded" up inside.  get some electric parts spray cleaner at local parts store and give it a good spray thru each hole as you turn the switch thru positions from off to start.    I've heard these things can be taken apart but i havnt tried to get into one, i can just see springs and little detent balls flying everywhere.  good luck

Gale

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)

If the electrical portion of your ignition switch is bad (and doesn't respond to cleaning per Gale's suggestion above) when you go to replace it, don't forget to disconnect your battery, then unscrew the old switch from the locking portion of the ign switch and transfer the wires one at a time so you don't mix 'em up (easy to do!).

cheers

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I had a similar problem.

I drilled the 2 rivets on the switch to see if I could fix the switch internally.

No  such luck....burned contacts and high resistance.

Best to replace the ignition switch and then limit the current flowing through it.

My old one bit the dust because I had dual horns and fog lights getting power through the switch.

I Installed 2 relays with  +12 volt power directly from the battery (fused) and now all is well.

• 3 months later...

I am having a ignition switch problem of a different sort. When I turn the key to the run position the car starts, and the starter keeps cranking like I am holding the key in the start position (#4) on the ignition switch. I made sure all of the wiring is correct. I even wired in a momentary switch (push button start) between 50 on the ignition switch and and 50 on the starter solenoid. I thought i may have mixed up the wires. Rewired everything just to be sure and it still cranks in the run position. Has anybody else had this problem? Is there any adjustment like some of the older American cars, so that the tumbler triggers the switch contacts in the correct position? Understandably, I don't feel like spending $260 bucks on a  new switch.

Mine did this the Ignition Switch was broken, same part these guys described above. Found one on the forum cheap, head to Parts Wanted they'll sort you out. Also clean your grounds.

1 hour ago, heinemann said:

I am having a ignition switch problem of a different sort. When I turn the key to the run position the car starts, and the starter keeps cranking like I am holding the key in the start position (#4) on the ignition switch. I made sure all of the wiring is correct. I even wired in a momentary switch (push button start) between 50 on the ignition switch and and 50 on the starter solenoid. I thought i may have mixed up the wires. Rewired everything just to be sure and it still cranks in the run position. Has anybody else had this problem? Is there any adjustment like some of the older American cars, so that the tumbler triggers the switch contacts in the correct position? Understandably, I don't feel like spending $260 bucks on a  new switch.

'86 e28 535i - Schwartz on Schwartz "Daily Driver"

'72 e10 2002 - In Progress "Go-Box"

I figured it was a worn out switch. I bought a cheapy 4 position switch down at the parts store just to get it started and run through the circuits since all the wiring is exposed. issues. I'll hit some one up for a switch in the parts wanted section.

Thanks.