• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Guibo Replacement

thedudejb

Any advice on which way to disassemble the steering coupler...from above the engine compartment or from under the car?  All of the stud nuts on each collar seem tough to get to as well as the bolt nuts connecting the actual guibo.  I have read the excellent write-ups on this in the FAQ by @rms_sandiego from 2010, but it didn't seem to mention best way to access this removal.  Any advice would be much appreciated.

'76 Currently Malaga (Originally Fjord) (Eventually Turkis) - Bought in 2015

'73 Chamonix "kühle whip" - Sold in 2009

'76 Siennabraun - Sold in 2002

Do it from above. Just rotate the steering wheel to get better access to the different bolts. Don't forget to remove the retaining bolt completely as opposed to just loosening it. The bold sits in a groove in the shaft that stops the coupler from sliding all the way up unless you take it out.

Rob S
'69 2002; '04 330i ZHP; 2018 X1; 2014 535i; 2017 340i

Also paint mark the shaft leaving the steering box while the wheels are centered  (if the existing center mark is no longer visible)  I wasn't paying attention to that when I initially bolted everything back together and steering wheel was off center slightly.

76 '02 5spd.  stage2  Kerman build

00 Z3M Coupe

10 328iT ZMP 6spd

2 hours ago, elfhearse said:

I wasn't paying attention to that when I initially bolted everything back together and steering wheel was off center slightly.

Mine was also, so I just popped off the steering wheel and moved it to the correct position.  Same number of splines at both ends of the shaft, So that is a lot easier than going thru the joint process again.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.