• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help on 02 purchase

rhariz21

Hey guys,

Ive been searching for a 02 for awhile now around the LA area. my goal was to find something somewhat rust free, get it running, and do a simple restoration. not showroom quality. budget was around $5k for the initial car purchase.

I have eyes on a 1974 2002tii all original that has been sitting for about 10 years. Unfortunately i cant fly out to see it but owner seems honest and will send me any pictures i want 

its got its fair amount of rust on the body but strut towers are good, engine is there, interior is clean. fenders are bad, one rocker is bad, and some rust sports on the rear quarters. 

It is out of state and will cost me probably right around $6k to get it to me. 

My question is, is it worth purchasing the tii, spending more than my budget, and shipping it here when i can wait a little and by a rust free carb model?

it looks like the tii usually more desirable but i thought id ask

UPDATE: found a car!

20161115_160848.jpg

Edited by rhariz21

I'd wait.  Rust on these cars is brutal, and the tii price hit isn't (in my humble opinion) worth it for the first one you buy.

The strut towers are one of the last places to rust- the rockers in back are the worst spots, followed by

the rear spring perches.  The perches aren't that hard to fix, tho, whereas the rockers can be tricky.

When you decide you NEED a tii, THEN spend tii money.  Plus, the injection system isn't all that DIY- friendly if you're not brave.

'Course, you're going to blow your budget no matter what, so if you really like this car, why not?  It's only money!

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Usual good advice is to buy a car with as little rust as possible. Mechanical issues can all be sorted relatively cheaply but rust can get expensive and time consuming. Buying a car with known rust is OK but they are always worse than they look when you strip them down. The unknown unknowns are the worst. 

It it all depends how much of a project you are really looking for, what your skills and facilities are like. It also depends upon what you want as an end result. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Agreed. That tii listed in LA will give you nightmares. Rust isn't the issue. Time consumption, the cost of buying everything you can new (thing seals, rubber gaskets, basically everything ever)... that's what get's you.

When you finally hit the $15k mark, you'll ask yourself if it was worth it for a tii with extensive repair, and still a shitty color. 

IDK man, go find a better roundie with a carb'd motor. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

That's the one danco! thanks for your opinions  guys. 

i guess i should work on my patience huh?

Let me know if anyone has their eyes on a minimal rust car in my price range! Roundie or not. Don't mind paying for shipping if its clean 

I just picked up a 74 yesterday for a pretty damn good price! very very minimal rust. one tiny bubble right behind the rear wheel and a little under the door (on the door not the rocker). I'll post more pictures later. Blue plate CA car.  thanks for the help everyone

20161115_160848.jpg

Edited by rhariz21