• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quick Tip: Keep Your Car From Getting Stolen

Fatherof3

I hope to do some road trips and may end up staying in some not so great places. If it looks sketchy one of the wheels that shows the most is going in the hotel/motel room with me. I like turning the front wheels and taking the steering wheel too.

Edited by Fatherof3

Here are some modifications done by the first owner of my 2002 to prevent theft, and some other random switches and lights that have wires for something I can not think of besides my car having been owned by James Bond.

this is a switch in the glovebox that I found only by following the wires that go to itIMG_0785.JPG

some switches, all with wires hooked up, I think some went to that switch in the glove boxIMG_0784.JPG

matching lights on the gaugesIMG_0789.JPG

Some power socket from my research, wires were already cut so don't know what they went toIMG_0787.JPG

aanndd.. There is a sticker on one window that is a laser warning, another of a electrical security system, some cut wires that went into the engine bay, a lone wire that went to the trunk, a wire that hitched into only the passenger door open closed button, wires going to the hazard possibly for power, and a 3 digit code thing like you would see on a suit case on the center console. The only thing still on the car when I got it were bumper fog lights which only require one switch.

Ha that's excellent!

If you can decipher the terminal allocation on the rear you can figure out the code. I am guessing that it works as three switches, wired in series, that all close when the correct numbers are dialled in. Wire a typical kill circuit through it and you have a great immobiliser. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Ha that's excellent!

If you can decipher the terminal allocation on the rear you can figure out the code. I am guessing that it works as three switches, wired in series, that all close when the correct numbers are dialled in. Wire a typical kill circuit through it and you have a great immobiliser. 

Simeon, skip a ghetto pin switch and get a decent keypad [emoji1]

8d5dff9843d62ff5ecd22b1b8cd49591.png

We could fit iris scanning and hand print recognition but we would still only be cutting the black wire between the coil and distributor 

[emoji3]

Sorry you're right. I'm installing keypad and push button start (in cigarette lighter housing) running through Haltech. [emoji6]

7 hours ago, Driv3r said:

Sorry you're right. I'm installing keypad and push button start (in cigarette lighter housing) running through Haltech

A little more info.  Interested in your solution.  I'm on a Elite 2500, with a S14.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Sure, I'm using Brant keypad immobiliser module. Basically no power behind the dashboard without using a pin code. I need to hot wire a trigger sensor to driver seatbelt. This is part of Brant security. So if someone force you to get out of the car to steal it, the seatbelt triggers the security module and engine will cut of in 3 min unless you re-enter the pin code. There is also option for a dummy pin code in case someone force you to enter it which would also cut off the power in 3 min. Brant security can do heaps more. I'm also combining this with tracking system and 4G sim module that can allow remote command submission using your cell phone. (Start/shut down, limit rev, lock doors, check current speed, check location etc.). Cheers

Very few people know who to drive a manual gearbox anymore. It's a lost art but as I told my daughters, it's a life skill you have to learn.  None of their friends ever asked to borrow their E30's since none of them knew how to drive a stick shift.

G-Man

1526851_10153780862475131_2087216523_n.jpg

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Just deciphered the combination lock thing and the way someone set it up is so it doesn't flow electricity through it on only one code. You can see in the picture that there is only one pin on each row that is not soldered to every other.This only gets stranger.

Very few people know who to drive a manual gearbox anymore. It's a lost art

That's disappointing from a nation that pioneered automobile. Almost every teenager girl or boy that know in Australia either drive a manual or know how to. Most students learn manual because it's cheaper to buy.

I used to fit out highly covert police surveillance cars with their radio equipment to such an extent that you could sit in the car and not notice it was a police car.  (Not traffic cars !!!, which are as covert as my 02 !)

One of the favourite places for the PTT (push to talk) buttons was inside the rubber gaiter surrounding the gearstick.  Since that required very slight hand movement to operate.  Makes for a great place to have a hidden toggle cut off switch.