• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When going bumperless in the front, what goes on the back?

vacca rabite

Car really doesn't look finished without a rear bumper imo.

How about a body coloured bumper? You can even get fibreglass to save a bit of weight. 

Who has has the car seen on here recently that uses the raised 'bumperettes' of a Mercedes Benz to give a split bumper effect? That's different and pretty cool. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

25 minutes ago, Simeon said:

How about a body coloured bumper? You can even get fibreglass to save a bit of weight. 

Body-colored bumper ties in nicely, or black, depending on the car color.  There was a fiberglass rear bumper offered here at the "store," but I didn't see it listed today.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

6 hours ago, Rozz said:

That's what I have (or something super similar), it's at the paint shop getting a respray.

Here's a photo of rear bumper (following the purchase of the car).. in case it helps with your decision.

14418755148_322afe04fe.jpg

Edited by MildSeven

picked up what i thought was a sound Verona Red '76

The Refresh Blog: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/155-76-verona-red-refresh/

UPS just delivered my IE Turbo air dam and by mistake delivered the rear bumper. 

I'm pretty sure I'd rather a chrome shorty bumper but I'll hold that one up to the car to see what it looks like. Maybe we'll go that route.

But I agree, it doesn't look right unless it has a rear bumper.

9 hours ago, Eimis Savickas said:

here's my 02 with the rear IE fiberglass bumper painted in the same color as the car, with front IE airdam...

looks good!

but I don't think it would look good for all colours... like my verona red would be too much.

picked up what i thought was a sound Verona Red '76

The Refresh Blog: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/155-76-verona-red-refresh/

• 1 month later...

I am trying to figure out how to install IE rear bumpers withOUT drilling holes on the bumper. i was thinking of running a flat bar bracket thru the bumper holes 3 of them and bolt them there just like the factory bumper. but how do i mate the bracket to the bumper. Would a jbweld or steel to plastic epoxy suffice or apply fiberglass bonding between bumper and bracket. here is the mock up of the flat bar brackets on the bumper holes and the inner upper bumper lip just sitting on the flat bar  bracket.

2016-11-09 09.25.35.jpg

2016-11-09 09.24.40.jpg

20161109_081636.jpg

Edited by LLCoolJQ

74' 2002 (Running Project)

86' 911 (Weekend Warrior)

Bond the steel into the inside with glass and resin. Rough the inside surface up well before you apply resin and mat, steel and then more mat and resin.  This will need a reasonable surface area to bond and gain strength. 

Make a wooden jig to hold the steel plates in place while curing

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

3 hours ago, Simeon said:

Bond the steel into the inside with glass and resin. Rough the inside surface up well before you apply resin and mat, steel and then more mat and resin.  This will need a reasonable surface area to bond and gain strength. 

Make a wooden jig to hold the steel plates in place while curing

thanks. wooden jig makes sense to strengthen bond while curing...

74' 2002 (Running Project)

86' 911 (Weekend Warrior)