• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weber Air Cleaners

Stuart

I found a set of Weber air cleaners that I would like to use on my 40 DCOEs.  Has anyone here used them?  I have a tii brake boost.  Initial positioning tells me that they will clear.  Some questions.....

1. Air filter - Pierce Manifolds had a 2" filter but it was too larger to fit inside the cover and base. 

2. Dipstick - It looks like getting to the dipstick will be a challenge once they are mounted.

3. Clean up/powder coating - I want to have the black redone and the bare metal polished smooth, thoughts on how?

4. Remove the air horns or mount the air cleaners right over them?

Anything else I should consider? 

Weber Air Filter.jpg

You might want to measure the clearance above the lip of the stack and the filter... too close is no bueno.  I think you'd need 3/4" to be good.

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

If you find they do fit, you can clean/paint/polish those top surfaces yourself quite easily:

1.  strip off old paint

2.  prime with an aluminum-compatible primer.  SEM makes some in a spray can--get at an auto body supply shop

3.  paint with a nice semi-gloss (or gloss, take your pick) black enamel.

4.  take a small sheet of glass, and using it as a flat surface, use progressively finer wet sandpaper to sand off first the paint, then smooth the metal ribs and Weber logo.  Start with 280 or 320; once you're to 1000/1200 or so grit paper, polish by hand (or a Dremel tool with a small soft polishing wheel) using a mild polish (I've used Brasso).  Wash the residue off and you're done.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

6 hours ago, zinz said:

You might want to measure the clearance above the lip of the stack and the filter... too close is no bueno.  I think you'd need 3/4" to be good.

Ed

+1 with this. You might want to look into getting some 'stub stacks' to maximise this clearance if you go for a shallow filter. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/