• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Water Pump Block Off Plate (proto)

Driv3r

No not a race car, although its hybrid M2/M10 EFI turbocharged. I wouldn't have bothered with the EWP if the space wasn't the main reason for me. I have used the space inside the front grill to fit the intercooler. This is where you usually install the thermofan. So I had to use a puller fan and fit it in between the engine and radiator but the old water pump was taking all the space. EWP solved that problem.

I.D. for that AN fitting? Smaller than oem hose i.d.? Daring? I wouldn't hinder the flow specially with that engine of yours. Never done that so i could very well be wrong.

Maybe good size 90 deg Al-angle tube welded? Dunno if air bleeding from the top portion is needed but i would do it anyway - just in case.

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

I.D. for that AN fitting? Smaller than oem hose i.d.? Daring? I wouldn't hinder the flow specially with that engine of yours. Never done that so i could very well be wrong.

Maybe good size 90 deg Al-angle tube welded? Dunno if air bleeding from the top portion is needed but i would do it anyway - just in case.

It's AN-16 with 1" I.D. The flow speed is constantly regulated by EWP rather than the engine crank rev so a slight difference in I.D wouldn't be an issue. Although I believe the original wp inlet I.D was also 1" but someone can confirm this. I will look into the air bleeding option, thanks!

[emoji482]

10 minutes ago, Driv3r said:

Although I believe the original wp inlet I.D was also 1" but someone can confirm this.

I had to look... 24.5 mm so 1" is in line with that regard.

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

Hi,

I have done similar things but with another purpose.

First attempt was just closing of a waterpump by cutting it and welding it in order to use an electric water pump.

I used this on my track car to be able to still run water through the engine to cool it off after engine shutdown (see pic).

Then I made similar things to what you made but for another purpose; to use with a different front lower cover (see other pic), with a large M30 waterpump fitted on it, a cover similar to what you have but with a larger opening and connecting pipe, and then a pipe going sideways though the frost plugs directly into the engine to improve cooling enormously. Found most of the stuff back but still need to find those covers back so I can send you a pic of these. They were laser cut though.... Will look over the weekend...

Fun stuff...

Tom from Belgium

IMG_1543.JPG

IMG_1544.JPG

Hi,

First attempt was just closing of a waterpump by cutting it and welding it in order to use an electric water pump.

I used this on my track car to be able to still run water through the engine to cool it off after engine shutdown (see pic).

Then I made similar things to what you made but for another purpose; to use with a different front lower cover (see other pic), with a large M30 waterpump fitted on it, a cover similar to what you have but with a larger opening and connecting pipe, and then a pipe going sideways though the frost plugs directly into the engine to improve cooling enormously. Found most of the stuff back but still need to find those covers back so I can send you a pic of these. They were laser cut though.... Will look over the weekend...

Fun stuff...

Tom from Belgium

IMG_1543.JPG

IMG_1544.JPG

Very interesting thanks for the share. I'm just opting to go with Davis Craig EWP which's been proven to be above sufficient for M10 stock wp upgrade. What you're trying to achieve is very easy with Davis Craig control unit but in my case I just hook up the EWP to my Haltech and program it to stay on after engine shut off.

There are so many guys here who can help you and I was lucky to get some guidance from TobyB & Keith kuchler.

I believe one way or another all 02s will have to eventually upgrade things. Reminds me of when my dad bought a new model VHS player and two months later they announced DVDs, he was furious! So we had to stay using the vhs when everyone else had DVDs just because he was so stubborn to accept! [emoji1]

6 hours ago, zob2002 said:

Hi,

Fun stuff...

Tom from Belgium

Would be really interesting to see pictures of your full setup. Did you have good results with it? Did you run M30 pump from crank or electric?

For the same reasons I tried running the stock pump with electric motor. It worked fine otherwise but I couldn't find a good motor so I went back to crank drive after melting couple of them. It's really nice feature to keep coolant flowing in park ferme. I would like to do it again but reliable still within low budged.

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!