• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Concours on the Avenue today: BMW Content

COOP

Oh my goodness, these cars are grail objects and shockingly,   obscenely ,   hideously ,   beautiful.   My God even the Alexander Calder ART car is there.

Warm wet and juicy gooey dripping wet excellent.

Having been to Carmel several times in my happier younger years when I lived in Santa Barbara California I can say that I am not surprised.

I feel better now !       sincerely, Peter

The First thing is to have an untroubled mind. The Second thing is to know your purpose. Illigitimati Non Carborundum

8 minutes ago, COOP said:

My tii will be at The Quail on Friday...and they prohibit showing their invitees at any of the week's preceding events.

COOP

Totally awesome pictures, thanks for sharing!!!

While I congratulate you and your car for being accepted at the Quail (to which I have never been), the above stipulation represents why I have stayed away from the entire Monterey insanity for the last 4-5 years. Your car is amazing and certainly deserves to be there, but all of the pomp and circumstance of the entire week (+) event has gotten to be a bit much. 

One of my customers started the Historic races in the 1970s, and for years he invited everyone from my shop to attend. It was absolutely fantastic, and the Historics races still are, even if they are a bit more crowded. But, I will be at Laguna Seca Friday-Sunday, and my tii will even be parked in the BMWCCA corral (I have never parked in a club corral before)! 

'73 Chamonix tii with fender flares and CA plate MMIITII, I hope to meet some of you guys there!

Chris

Chris A
---'73 2002tii Chamonix w/ flares, sunroof, 15x7s, LSD, Bilstein Sports w/ H&R springs, upgraded sway bars, E21 Recaros
---'86 Porsche 944 Turbo grey street/track car

---'81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 rescued from junkyard, Lemons Rally/"GT" car

I will look for you at Laguna over the weekend Chris. I can't wait for the sights and sounds of vintage racing cars in action.

I hear you on the pomp & circumstance thing but I guess I'm just honored that my car was invited. I hear that TQ is a bit over the top but it will be entertaining to rub shoulders with folks who would normally have me cleaning their pools.

What I really enjoyed about today's event was the fact that it was really quite low key, despite the high caliber of the cars. I guess that's a function of it being a free show held on public streets. I had an absolute blast! I arrived at 11 and stayed until 5, long enough to hear some insane race motors alighting.

What is really magical about Concours on the Avenue is the caliber of cars that you see scattered all over the place on side streets, away from the event, from Gullwing MBs to priceless Ferraris. I would have posted pix of the non/BMW beauty but I was afraid of being scolded by the "Wrong-Forum-FAQ-Reich." I know that I already pushed the envelope with non-02 content!

COOP

17 minutes ago, COOP said:

I will look for you at Laguna over the weekend Chris. I can't wait for the sights and sounds of vintage racing cars in action.

I hear you on the pomp & circumstance thing but I guess I'm just honored that my car was invited. I hear that TQ is a bit over the top but it will be entertaining to rub shoulders with folks who would normally have me cleaning their pools.

What I really enjoyed about today's event was the fact that it was really quite low key, despite the high caliber of the cars. I guess that's a function of it being a free show held on public streets. I had an absolute blast! I arrived at 11 and stayed until 5, long enough to hear some insane race motors alighting.

What is really magical about Concours on the Avenue is the caliber of cars that you see scattered all over the place on side streets, away from the event, from Gullwing MBs to priceless Ferraris. I would have posted pix of the non/BMW beauty but I was afraid of being scolded by the "Wrong-Forum-FAQ-Reich." I know that I already pushed the envelope with non-02 content!

COOP

That is great to hear! I wish I could take that much time off from work . . . . 

And judging by the quality of your car, I'll bet you would be excellent at cleaning pools! :) 

There is/was also a great low-key car show in Pacific Grove on Thursday, but even that has probably gotten out of control in recent years.

I personally have zero problems with you posting pics of other awesome cars, given the context! M1s and CSLs never get old!

Hope to see you there, 

Chris

Edited by cda951

Chris A
---'73 2002tii Chamonix w/ flares, sunroof, 15x7s, LSD, Bilstein Sports w/ H&R springs, upgraded sway bars, E21 Recaros
---'86 Porsche 944 Turbo grey street/track car

---'81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 rescued from junkyard, Lemons Rally/"GT" car

What is really magical about Concours on the Avenue is the caliber of cars that you see scattered all over the place on side streets, away from the event, from Gullwing MBs to priceless Ferraris.

I have to say over the years I have also seen the quality of driven classics park around this event. The cars placed in the streets for the event always have some special significance( to us car people) and it reminds me of the time I was right next to Porsche #1 the Gmund coupe. Miss this so much. I will not make again this year but hope to in the near future. We are very privileged as a group to get to experience the Monterey week. Have fun with it. 

Those are fantastic pictures COOP.  Thanks for sharing.  Spied a couple of Lambos racing up HWY 1 toward Monterey on the way into work this morning.  Always look forward to this week around here,

John 

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

I'm green with envy.  Wish I was there.

COOP:  While you're at Monterey/ The Quail, chances are someone is going to ask you if you REALLY want to go thru the hassle of taking the car home and put it back in YOUR garage.  And they might even mention a number larger than taxi fare home.  Have you thought of your answer to the question and/or a number?  Better be prepared.

mac.

2 hours ago, mac said:

I'm green with envy.  Wish I was there.

COOP:  While you're at Monterey/ The Quail, chances are someone is going to ask you if you REALLY want to go thru the hassle of taking the car home and put it back in YOUR garage.  And they might even mention a number larger than taxi fare home.  Have you thought of your answer to the question and/or a number?  Better be prepared.

mac.

Funny, several people have mentioned the possibility of some super wealthy person at The Quail just "having to have" my little car. I really have no desire to sell but of course I have a number that would make me think twice. Suffice to say that this number ensures that the tii will be coming home with me. 

COOP