Sign in to follow this  
nbcbird

Munich visit

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Managed to visit BMW's Milbertshofen complex a couple of weeks ago and not much has changed the past several years. The "100 Masterpieces" exhibit was mainly a series of photos arranged along the ramp of the Museum bowl--rather disappointing.  And not much was offered for Anniversary memorabilia other than tee-shirts, caps, and misc. pens.  What was surprising was the amount of construction around the FIZ complex, which will practically double in area northeast of the plant.  Also managed to see the new location for Group Classic, but not much was happening there either.  I was told that the official opening would be in August.  They did manage to have a 2002 displayed in the showroom.  FWIW, Group Classic is conveniently located just across the street from the Oberwiesenfeld stop on the U3 line (just before/after Olympia-zentrum).

Group Classic Moosacher Str.jpg

Group Classic showroom.jpg

BMW Milbertshofen expansion.jpg

Thanks for the post.  I'm actually going to Munich next week and have a free day on Monday.  Too bad for me that the museum is closed that day...

42 minutes ago, vinntagejoe said:

...............I hope your planning on catching a Euro game or three :D

I wish, but unfortunately the schedule won't allow for a trip to France.  Just going to have to keep myself occupied in Munich somehow.  

Even though the Museum is closed, visit BMW Welt across the street--lots of things to see in there, and the building itself is architecturally fascinating--the interior is larger than St Mark's Square in Venice, with only a few internal supports supporting the roof.  And you might see if you can get a guided tour of the factory across the street.  There are walkways up above the factory floor, so you can look down and follow the entire production line.  And if you're a CCA member that might help you get a place in the tour easier.

cheers

mike

If I were you, I'd definitely use the free day to visit the Deutsches Museum.  While not BMW-centric, it is heavily centered on mechanical history of all sorts.  Tons and tons of engine cutaways and mechanical craziness of all sorts, and the place is massive.

BMW Welt is nice too, but its kind of out of the way and not a lot to see other than a few modern cars and the crazy building.  I didnt do the factory tour, as I had to get back to a meeting.  I did buy a 2002 diecast there which is nice.

Edited by KFunk