• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Individual Coil On Plug (COP) option

Driv3r

A lot of work and the coils are dangling out there.  Eventually the 4cyl vibrations will get them if they are not properly supported.  A more sane solution is to do a coil per plug and mount the coils off engine with wire to the plug.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

I've been through two cool on plug/coil near plug iterations. Don't know of a kit to do it though. My first version used the VAG coils as detailed in the Megasquirt documentation. Had to trim (shorten) the bottom of the coil bodies to make them fit over the plug connectors. They worked fine for my non-turbo set up.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

i switched to LS coils hung under the exhaust manifold on an eBay bracket when the turbo made the VAG coils impractical due to lack of space.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The LS coil setup is working great.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Colin

1968 1602

That's a lot of work for gains in the 'negligable to barely noticable' department.

If you're in for the cool factor, fine, but it's not going to unlock 20 hp.

Like a trip to a good dyno tuner just might...

Also factor in that all coil- on- plug stuff is for dohc, where the plugs aren't right over the exhaust.

And Jim's totally right about vibes, too- the M10 has them in spades.

The M42 coil pack sits off to the side, and is not wasted spark.

my thoughts,

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

50 minutes ago, TobyB said:

Also factor in that all coil- on- plug stuff is for dohc, where the plugs aren't right over the exhaust.

This ^^

the VAG coils did overheat once or twice with the heat from the exhaust header when stopped and idling for very long periods. I added heat reflective sheathing to the coils eventually, and then moved on. Never had any problems with the VAG coils vibrating loose even though they were a simple push fit over the plug tops with no retainers/brackets.

Toby is right though, I did COP just because I could and it was a neat experiment for myself.

Edited by stuff
  • Like 1

Colin

1968 1602

This is so resourceful, thank you all for your kind input. I've recently upgraded my Mazda Miata NA to COP and thought I could do this to my EFI 02 but as TobyB pointed out, I've just relised my Miata is DOHC. Maybe I stick to my current setup for now. Thanks again for your input.

Cheers

On 6/1/2016 at 9:44 AM, TobyB said:

That's a lot of work for gains in the 'negligable to barely noticable' department.

Like a trip to a good dyno tuner just might...

And Jim's totally right about vibes, too- the M10 has them in spades.

The M42 coil pack sits off to the side, and is not wasted spark.

my thoughts,

t

Toby, all good points! The reason I chose to do it was to implement sequential ignition with the new Megasquirt 3X software in conjunction with sequential ignition. Yes, it is just a gnarly expensive garage science experiment... but I must say the engine sure runs a LOT smoother than before with a dizzy / MSD combo.

Oh, sure- and it is sexy as all get- out to not have all that other sparkplug wire junk hanging around.

The M54 has only lost 2 coils so far, and it has 125k on it.  I'd guess the equivalent in 2002 miles to be about a half-

dozen sets of points, and 3 or 4 caps, rotors, and wire sets.  It's certainly not completely wasted effort.

It's just smaller gains.

For my money (and what the race car's getting) crank- triggered ignition and wasted spark's the big bang for the buck.

Because I agree- getting the timing signal out of the distributor WILL pay dividends in idle and add a few hp,

if only because you can run a little leaner and a little more advanced since you don't need a safety margin

to allow for timing wander.

But it's not nearly as sexy as sticking the coils right on the plugs...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I've picked up a set of Toyota 1ZZ coils for which I would have to make a bracket.  These COP's are very compact and would fit well, physically. I too have been concerned with heat/vibration; hence also collected a set of LS2 truck coils that are coil-near-plug.  They can be mounted on the valve cover, thereby shielded from exhaust heat.  They represent a nice compromise between true COP and wasted spark.  Best of both worlds, I feel.

1 hour ago, burndog said:

The coils I am using are from DIYautotune, LS2 coil equivalents, but less expensive than other (LS2's) on the market, ie. MSD or OEM.

Those are probably the most powerful coils around.  The IGN line of coils are a product of Lance Nist and if anyone plows around on EFI101 you will find the "Big Boys" in the EFI business use them.  Also on that board you will find the truck coils have a habit of sparking when not wanted.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

5 minutes ago, jimk said:

Those are probably the most powerful coils around.  The IGN line of coils are a product of Lance Nist and if anyone plows around on EFI101 you will find the "Big Boys" in the EFI business use them.  Also on that board you will find the truck coils have a habit of sparking when not wanted.

Hi Jim,

The inadvertent sparking of the LS2 coils is typically caused by an incorrect dwell setting.  The internal protection mechanism has a nasty habit of terminating charge if the coil gets too hot.  Set correctly, they operate fine.  Lots of folks on the MS board have used them without issue.

FWIW I plan to do LS coils on my M10 at some point. Cheap to get (junkyards everywhere!), reliable, and plentiful (american stuff always is, see junkyard). That's about all I have to contribute, wish I could be of more help!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2