• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many people are manufacturing LED tail light conversions ?

3 hours ago, Captain Manly said:

So if I order the complete set I should choose:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1156-led-bulb-1-high-power-led-w-reflector-lens-ba15s-retrofit-car/921/

or 

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1156-led-bulb-45-smd-led-tower-ba15s-retrofit-car/526/

in red for the brake light portion and white in back up light portion, and 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-1156-Amber-Yellow-Turn-Signal-bulbs-20W-Cree-High-Power-LED-Tail-light-Hot-/271890418884?hash=item3f4dee8cc4:g:xJoAAOSw-jhUDm8h&vxp=mtr&rmvSB=true

for the turn indicators, so that there is enough resistance so that it does not give a false "burn-out" positive, correct?

TIA!!

Justin 

Hi Justin--

Either Superbright LED bulb should work for your brake lights; I only have experience with the 1-highpower-LED bulb, but the bulb with SMD (surface-mount LEDs) will probably be fine, too.

Why do you want an LED bulb for the reverse lamps?  I rarely drive in reverse, so the OEM incandescent bulbs last about forever.  And I'm not a fan of the "blue" bulbs with Correlated Color Temperature (CCT) above 4000K, but that is your choice.  I agree, however, that if you want more light to backup, without the heat generation and lens-melting potential of a 50 Watt halogen bulb, an LED bulb might work for you,

I have no recommendation about the EBay bulbs since I have never seen them.  LED bulbs are only as good as the manufacturer, and while Cree makes fine LED chips, the company that assembles the package may well shortchange the LED-driver and heatsink design in a way that compromises light output and LED life.  The key is to buy from a company you trust and that has excellent customer support for when you have a problem.  Frankly, I would select the SuperbrightLED 1-highpower-LED bulb with reflector in amber for the rear turn and the 1157 (BAY-15D base) version for the front turn/parking lamps.

Also, why are you concerned about resistance?  Our cars do NOT evaluate lamp current to give a bulb-out indication and the OEM flasher, or most aftermarket flashers, will work fine.  If the flasher is a problem, both SuperbrightLEDs and your local autoparts store have electronic flashers that will work as a replacement.

The only reason I consider a CANbus LED bulb is if the other LED bulbs are too large to fit.  For example, a 194 T3-1/4 bulb fits fine in your Tach but most LED bulbs are too fat.  But SuperbrightLEDs sells a 5-SMD CANbus LED bulb that will probably fit (they no longer sell the open circuit-board bulb that you can weasle down into the mounting hole).

Have fun with your new bulbs!

Larry

Larry Ayers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

’73 Malaga— first car, now gone

'74tii Malaga

Hey Layers,

First off thank you for you informative reply.

One of the reasons for the LED whites for reverse is just better visibility when backing up, especially the limited lighting area for the older model vehicles.  

I think I already have LEDs in my rebuilt dash, if not, thanks for the heads up.

The only reason I was questioning resistance wall the prior discussion regarding this topic.

I will be making some purchases shortly.  Again thanks for the insight.

Regards,

Justin

Bought cheap china made leds for rear driving lights and see for yourself. Comparison left-led right normal 10w halogen. My rear lenses are without retro-reflector :/ (if anyone knows where to get one(also retro-reflector sheet to cut out dimansons needed) please pm me)

img3166.jpg

Also rear EU bumper licence plate led on the left and halgen on the right.

img3167.jpg

Best regards

Blaz

Classicautoleds are not currently being made, unfortunately. This is how the parking lights look (with LED euro license plate lights also).

Check mobrighta's offerings too.

IMAG3672.jpg

I love my classicautoLEDs. Plug and play. Super bright. Overlays the reflectors entirely so if yours looks like the inside of an ash can it doesn't matter. Web site is still up but maybe they aren't actually making them? They've always been somewhat made to order.

Mars Attacks!

marsattacks.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered a set of square tail lights from Steve at classicautoled.com and he said a few weeks before they started manufacturing again. They are at the end of moving to a new location.

'76 Stone Gray 2002

'83 blue R80RT, '83 red R80RT,

'16 Alpine White Xdrive 328d Touring

BMW2002FAQ #502

I did a bulb conversion from those stores . Screwed up my whole lighting array .

Someone smart said : take those bulbs you bought and put the proper bulbs in. The lights are perfect . Although I didn't read thoroughly the above feed is there a reason why the LED lights are flighty resistors etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk