• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Place to get front grills restored?

PontiusGlaw

Yes, the King of Trim in Pacoima, CA does bright-dip re-anodization, knows the cars, and did a great job on a complete set of grilles for my '73 tii -- side grilles and center grille.  It is very expensive.

My '73, of course, uses the "shallow grilles" (late '72 through '73 model years) which have been NLA for decades, so new side grilles were not an option (one of my cores was NOS, but NOS with years of "shelf wear").  The center grille remains available -- or, at least, was a year ago -- but my concern was that the center grille's anodization (from the factory supplier) would be noticeably different from the side grilles' anodization (from the King of Trim):  anodized aluminum tonality and levels of gloss vary widely from plater to plater, and probably even from batch to batch.  So...I found three very good "cores" -- King of Trim can, however, fix much trim damage -- and had them restore all three grilles so they would match.  The slats on the center grille, of course, are black anodized in the factory manner, whereas the side grilles, painted on 2002's from 1968 into the 1970 model year, wear the factory black-anodized slat covers -- still available a year ago.

I've used King of Trim on multiple other trim items for this and other projects, e.g., late bumpers for my '76, always with the same result:  high quality work at a high price.  Why do I go back to King of Trim?  Because other highly-reputable re-plating shops, which charge nearly as much for bright-dip anodization as the King of Trim, deliver a clearly inferior finish: dull, grainy, even wavy.  I've learned from my (expensive) mistakes.  Most '02 anodized aluminum trim had nearly the appearance of chrome when new, and that's the goal driving my use of the King of Trim.

Best of luck with your project,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Speedway is excellent, very happy with everything I've sent to them. The favorite shop of the SoCal crowd.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40