• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wipers Stuck On? Broken Stalk?

camperman

Never heard of this issue before.

I went to start my car today and the wipers came on, which I thought odd. I tried turning them off and nothing happened. The switch at the end of the stalk *seems* to be broken, it doesnt click when I press it. It seems a lot like the classic Hazard switch failure. My wipers are on all the time and I cant turn them off. Last time I drove the car it was dry and they were definitely turned off. Its like the switch has just "pinged" in the intervening time.

Has anyone heard of this issue with this before? Any known fixes?

TIA

What year is your car?  My '73 has the same issue.  Yes the push switch is most likely broken.  I dont think it can be disassembled easily.  The PO wired in a switch into the knee panel.  The wire can be patched off the block connector under the dash. The stalk is stupid expensive (~$400).   You might be able to find a used one, or some years use a cheaper stalk switch.

Edited by Posaune

A second guess:  the parking mechanism has malfunctioned.  The wiper motor is "hot" whenever the ignition is on, and is prevented from running by the parking mechanism, which interrupts the circuit.  If this malfunctions, the wipers won't turn off.  

I did a column on repairing both the column switch (if it's on a 71-73 with the on-off wiper switch on the end of the turn signal stalk), and another on troubleshooting/repairing the parking mechanism.

Drop me an IM with your e-mail address, as the columns are Word documents and can't be pasted to an IM.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

A second guess:  the parking mechanism has malfunctioned.  The wiper motor is "hot" whenever the ignition is on, and is prevented from running by the parking mechanism, which interrupts the circuit.  If this malfunctions, the wipers won't turn off.  

I did a column on repairing both the column switch (if it's on a 71-73 with the on-off wiper switch on the end of the turn signal stalk), and another on troubleshooting/repairing the parking mechanism.

Drop me an IM with your e-mail address, as the columns are Word documents and can't be pasted to an IM.

cheers

mike

Hi Mike thanks for the response, I have sent PM

Dreaded dip switches.... I had so much trouble with my stock one trying to get it to work, and replacements are getting mighty expensive. Tried to fix the stocker multiple times, finally ended up sucking it up and getting a replacement i found for a steal at 150 euro.

Isn't there somewhere, on record, where a shorted out washer pump caused a similar "Jane! Stop this crazy thing!!!" wiper malfunction? I think Jenny Morgan discussed it, back in the 1990s in her Roundel writing? it may not have been a 2002, but might apply to us?

Just wondering out loud.

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

Paul,  a 73 wouldn't have the old bi-metal strip wash/wipe timer--when one of those sticks in the circuit closed position, it'll keep the wipers going.  And it seems to me that if the washer pump shorted out, it wouldn't be signaling the little wisch-wash circuit in the wiper relay box to keep the wipers going. 

My guess is either the wiper on-off switch inside the turn signal lever has broken in the on position, or the self-park mechanism in the motor has malfunctioned and isn't shutting off current to the wipers.  And it's most likely the latter, because if the just the switch malfunctioned, the wipers would stop as soon as the arms reached their park position. 

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Isn't there somewhere, on record, where a shorted out washer pump caused a similar "Jane! Stop this crazy thing!!!" wiper malfunction? I think Jenny Morgan discussed it, back in the 1990s in her Roundel writing? it may not have been a 2002, but might apply to us?

Just wondering out loud.

+1 on the pump trigger.   Yes! This will cause the problem. We had one come in the shop a few weeks ago where the washer pump wire brushed against the exhaust mani and grounded out causing the wipers to run.  Only happened during acceleration when engine pulled enough to make contact!

Dave in Baltimore

Dave in Baltim02e Maryland USA
1969 2002 Sahara  Manila  :)

1966 WM300 Dodge Power Wagon-Valley Green; 1972 Airstream Overlander; 1997 JDM Honda Prelude; 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 tow vehicle to tow home all the above junk!

On 3/21/2016 at 8:20 PM, mike said:

My guess is either the wiper on-off switch inside the turn signal lever has broken in the on position, or the self-park mechanism in the motor has malfunctioned and isn't shutting off current to the wipers.

mike

Just fixed this today, as suspected the stalk switch was faulty, it wasnt clicking when pressed. If you open the end of the stalk there is a little white plastic switch activator which is held by a spring, it was stuck in the "on" position. A simple light stretching of the spring to give it a bit more strength and a clean/lubrication of the activator fixed the issue. 

It does highlight a general issue that my wiper system has been totally neglected for 45 years, a full R&R is probably required this year. 

Thanks Mike for all your info on this, ;) im glad it was a simple and cheap fix