• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Steering Wheel trim

EuroOhTwo

After searching the archives, I am posting here to see if anyone has an 'easy' answer... i.e.: "I have some" or "you can get them here..."

Not a big deal, but the wood wheel I bought has a few of the chrome trim bits missing ( I knew this at time of purchase). It's doubtful, I know, but are there any sources out there where these might be obtained ? I've searched most common '02 parts places.

I can always remove one of the remaining half's and machine up a few.... That's the 'hard' answer.

post-49732-0-52110500-1456876523_thumb.p

post-49732-0-72478800-1456876546_thumb.p

post-49732-0-05363100-1456876570_thumb.p

I'm not certain if the 3 trim pieces on the wood-rimmed wheels are identical to those on the leather-rimmed wheels -- yes, I realize it's faux leather -- but they're quite similar. I've faced the issue on the leather-rimmed wheels and am waiting for 3 of these trim pieces to return from the chrome plater. Here's a thread on those trim pieces:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/163521-leather-rimmed-factory-steering-wheel-guidance-needed/

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Thanks all... I think my question is answered to my satisfaction. I'll put a posting in Parts Wanted and see what transpires, and just drive it as is meantime...at least it looks even from the drivers side with all missing ^_^ 

Having driven a new Euro model off the showroom floor in 1969, I am somewhat keen to return my new purchase to the car I remembered. My new purchase suffers from too fat a tire and too small a wheel. It's a PITA to park and no there's no fun sliding through the corners... I'm sure those wider wheels/tires put more stress in the smaller bearings that the non Tii models have. The 165's broke free and relieved the pressure somewhat.... but that's a whole new topic, so I'll stop here.

Thanks Again,

George

Those wood rim "bus wheels" were fitted to 2800 sedans and 2800CS coupes around 1969-70-71...I found two in junkyards--one of each of these vehicles.  I've actually seen two different finisher pieces--one smooth casting per your pictures, and another faceted piece that appears to be stamped.  This may be due to supply by two different manufacturers.  One of my wheels is missing the smooth piece, so if you find a source please post as I'd like to finish mine off.

These wheels are drilled and tapped for use on both the six cylinder sedans and coupes (contact ring on the steering wheel) and for 2002s (contact ring on the steering column, spring-loaded contact on the wheel) so can be easily adapted to use on an '02.  Nice period accessory that was available when the car was new...so long as you don't mind the large size.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

thx, Mike... yes I remember those 2800CS coupes when I bought my 1969 '02 new many decades ago. My boss at the time had one after his Bavaria. VERY nice cars that I got to drive occasionally. But we both preferred the '02 for pure 'fun'. In Canada, I believe you could order these steering wheels as an option on the Ti's and later Tii's. I think this steering wheel will look great in my newly acquired Agave/Saddle 1973 '02 and along with period 5x13 steel wheels and 165/13 tires now on order, will make the steering by ArmStrong a little easier.

Having owned a Granada '02 in the days before their cult status, I am keen to return my new purchase to the car I knew... that's what this is all about... re-living the memory before they take my license away...   :unsure:

Doubtful however  I will ever get the California '73 to what my Euro '69 was performance wise. It was a stock Solex/Euro model with NO pollution control equip. whatsoever. The service guys at BMW always said it was as fast as the Ti's at the time, that's the diff. pollution equipment cost this beautiful little car. At least a PO did the Weber conversion to the '73 I just bought.

cheers,

George

post-49732-0-90455600-1457230226_thumb.j

I had to make front covers for my wood rim steering wheel. I used an old street sign to make them. 

The front covers are the same as the backs.

On the faceted steering wheels the covers are one piece crimped at the back.

post-38744-0-17393600-1457232293_thumb.j

Edited by adawil2002

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Webasto rings a bell, but, as it was done in 1973  I could not swear to that. Back in the day things were not emblazoned with logo's like they are today so that is nothing to go by. It was well built with a white liner and very tough vinyl top. Never leaked, but I only had the car 3 more yrs after installing.

Euro quad headlights on yours look good too  :)

George

Edited by EuroOhTwo

• 2 weeks later...

Martin..

Just reading some of my old '02 books, I came across another sunroof maker.... try Googling BRITAX SUNROOFS they look similar also. It may be the one I had on my '69, it's just so long ago :( i cannot remember the name.

cheers,

George