• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carpet installation, what tools?

gdub

I have a 1600 in a storage garage located in Las Vegas. Looking for some help selecting the tools I will need to replace the carpet. Unfortunately  I live on the East Coast, so I need to pack proper tools or waste time running to the local Home Depot.  

What size socket / wrench to remove seats, seat belt bolts, etc.?  

Gary

1968 1600

Sahara 

The seat bolts are 10mm (you need a socket). You will need a philips screwdriver for the under dash panels, and possibly for the back seat bottom. Off the top of my head, that may be it...

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Yeah that is about it but to be safe you will need scissors, blade, tape, glue ect. You need to take an entire socket set. The seat belts need to be unbolted, dash pads removed, center console out. Could be hidden surprises.

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

17mm or 19mm for the seatbelt anchors. Sockets better for these. 

Highly recommend a clothing steamer (hand held or otherwise) to really get the contours to lay down nicely. 

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

if you are going to work on the car more than once, i would just arrive in LV, head to nearest Sears or autoparts store, and buy some basic tools.  use them and leave them in the trunk of the car for future use.  

you can never have too many tools.  worth the few bucks.  

besides, no matter how many tools you bring with you for the specific bolts, you will find you don't have the right one and will be buying tools anyway.  more cost effect to just buy a set up front than try to buy individual sizes.

2xM3

FYI: The TSA frown heavily on "carry on" automotive tools. Ask me how I know. 

Yup.  Pre-911 I flew to ATL with a screwdriver, crescent wrench and hack saw.  Made it to ATL but had to give everything up for the return flight. 

Funniest time was when a bunch of us were returning from Chicago at the NPE Plastics show with ping pong paddles (made during the event).  TSA folks were thoroughly confused.

Then there was the time I met "Bill" at the Birmingham, AL airport to pick up a roundie narrow grill.  Bill works in the control tower!   I got lots of weird looks that trip.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Yeah, I guess I just needed to here it "out loud".  Hopefully one trip to trip to Home depot down the street will do it....if not me and an uber driver will become pretty friendly!

I had not considered a steamer, but sounds like a great idea.

And I forgot that TSA seems to kinda make up rules as they go along, best to not tempt them.

Thanks for all the replies. 

Edited by gdub

Gary

1968 1600

Sahara 

I concur, buy the tools when you get there along with a little canvas tool bag and just leave it in the trunk. Easy.

Phillips, Flathead, Metric socket set (need 19 for seatbelts?) Utility knife and maybe a putty/scraper to carefully remove the original carpet, or yank it and scrape the foam bits off.

Edited by theNomad