• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just bought a '76

PurpleDog

I just wanted to introduce my car (and myself). My wife bought a '76 for me and I just picked it up this morning. It was a local car, near Seattle, that had been for sale for a while. It generally runs great. The brakes and clutch both require a lot of travel before doing anything, so I'll see if some bleeding clears that up. I'm going to drive it for a bit before cleaning up the cosmetics of the car. My plan is to return it to its original color, which I think is Chamonix. Really looking forward to getting started and looking forward to asking lots of stupid questions on here.

post-47362-0-44172300-1452812980_thumb.j

Welcome! This place is a great resource and the members are an outstanding group.

Suggest you join the PNW Group on the site. There's a meet-n-drive being organized for February in West Seattle - come join us and meet a bunch of other local 02 owners.

James

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo (sold)
1973 Mintgrun 2002 "Kermit" (sold)

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Weekender "Otto Van Gonzo"

Welcome!

Start by sending an email to BMW Archives (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com) with your VIN, requesting the data in their files for your car. They will provide the manufacturing date, the date when legal title transferred from BMW to BMW NA, the market (U.S.), transmission (presumably manual based on your entry), and the original color (presumably Chamonix) and color code.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

^

Next pick up a copy of the "02 Restoration Guide" by Mike Macartney along with downloading the factory repair manual ( http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/108461-shop-manual-pdf-for-download/page-3 ).  

In regards to questions, we tend to happily help those who first show an effort to help themselves.   Welcome to the FAQ!

Welcome! This place is a great resource and the members are an outstanding group.

Suggest you join the PNW Group on the site. There's a meet-n-drive being organized for February in West Seattle - come join us and meet a bunch of other local 02 owners.

James

Joined. I don't see any conflicts that day, looks like a good time.

Welcome!

Start by sending an email to BMW Archives (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com) with your VIN, requesting the data in their files for your car. They will provide the manufacturing date, the date when legal title transferred from BMW to BMW NA, the market (U.S.), transmission (presumably manual based on your entry), and the original color (presumably Chamonix) and color code.

Regards,

Steve

Thanks for that tip! I am definitely going to do that.

^

Next pick up a copy of the "02 Restoration Guide" by Mike Macartney along with downloading the factory repair manual ( http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/108461-shop-manual-pdf-for-download/page-3 ).  

In regards to questions, we tend to happily help those who first show an effort to help themselves.   Welcome to the FAQ!

Restoration guide has been ordered and I will download the factory repair manual the next time I get off the couch. Thanks for the advice.

Welcome PurpleDog!

Just to let you know, no matter what anyone else says on this site... you have the best year ever for a 2002. :D

Okay, so I am a little bit biased. Please, please post some photos, especially of the engine compartment, when you get a chance.

Best of luck!

Philip

Life is short, enjoy the ride!
L'Ultimo Ciclista, 200Km race, Nove Colli 2012

1976 Mint Grun

Philip

Welcome! Glad to see another PNW car! You should bring it out to the February meet!! Lots of use local guys will be there!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2