PurpleDog

Just bought a '76

11 posts / 949 viewsLast Reply

I just wanted to introduce my car (and myself). My wife bought a '76 for me and I just picked it up this morning. It was a local car, near Seattle, that had been for sale for a while. It generally runs great. The brakes and clutch both require a lot of travel before doing anything, so I'll see if some bleeding clears that up. I'm going to drive it for a bit before cleaning up the cosmetics of the car. My plan is to return it to its original color, which I think is Chamonix. Really looking forward to getting started and looking forward to asking lots of stupid questions on here.

post-47362-0-44172300-1452812980_thumb.j

sweet

pls search first as the search police here run hard

under the cover?

Welcome! This place is a great resource and the members are an outstanding group.

Suggest you join the PNW Group on the site. There's a meet-n-drive being organized for February in West Seattle - come join us and meet a bunch of other local 02 owners.

James

Welcome!

Start by sending an email to BMW Archives ([email protected]) with your VIN, requesting the data in their files for your car. They will provide the manufacturing date, the date when legal title transferred from BMW to BMW NA, the market (U.S.), transmission (presumably manual based on your entry), and the original color (presumably Chamonix) and color code.

Regards,

Steve

check your brake pads & shoes and adjust your clutch travel/friction point at the pedal box...

Welcome! This place is a great resource and the members are an outstanding group.

Suggest you join the PNW Group on the site. There's a meet-n-drive being organized for February in West Seattle - come join us and meet a bunch of other local 02 owners.

James

Joined. I don't see any conflicts that day, looks like a good time.

Welcome!

Start by sending an email to BMW Archives ([email protected]) with your VIN, requesting the data in their files for your car. They will provide the manufacturing date, the date when legal title transferred from BMW to BMW NA, the market (U.S.), transmission (presumably manual based on your entry), and the original color (presumably Chamonix) and color code.

Regards,

Steve

Thanks for that tip! I am definitely going to do that.

^

Next pick up a copy of the "02 Restoration Guide" by Mike Macartney along with downloading the factory repair manual ( http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/108461-shop-manual-pdf-for-download/page-3 ).  

In regards to questions, we tend to happily help those who first show an effort to help themselves.   Welcome to the FAQ!

Restoration guide has been ordered and I will download the factory repair manual the next time I get off the couch. Thanks for the advice.

Welcome PurpleDog!

Just to let you know, no matter what anyone else says on this site... you have the best year ever for a 2002. :D

Okay, so I am a little bit biased. Please, please post some photos, especially of the engine compartment, when you get a chance.

Best of luck!

Philip