Sign in to follow this  
ibjettin

Side marker lenses

6 posts / 609 viewsLast Reply

Can anyone explain why some side lenses have a oval shape on them? I thought it was for the lights but I have seen them on early cars with just reflectors and no lights (but could have been replaced). 

I can only assume the ones without the oval are from earlier cars?? Any help is much appreciated 

post-32975-0-52041900-1449778213_thumb.j

Those side markers were made by an outside supplier and were also used by M-B cars of the same era, and possibly other German cars.  Some of the other cars had illuminated front (amber) markers, so the oval shows up in the both the amber and red lenses. The lenses were made from the same mold, just used different color plastic.  

And BTW, the really early 2002s ('69 and possibly early 70 cars) used a slightly different reflector that has no screw that holds the aluminum trim ring/lens to the base.  They broke easily and had to be replaced as a unit, so the design changed.  The early ones are correct for '69s but have been NLA for many years.  

mike

Yup.  The early ones had a slightly different pattern, too.  And faded like crazy.

t

Like Mike said, they lit up and were common on MB's of the era. Surprised you didn't know that since you probably have a Bachelors equivalent in pick and pull education.