• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

looking to buy my first 02 what to really ask about

e30edm

Do get the book and read it as they suggested. If you really want this car and can't get a PPI and you want to roll the dice ask for:

Records of all service, how many previous owners, etc. (ODO reading means nothing without records)

Photos with the rear seat bottom removed from inside the car.

Photos of the underneath of the car.

A video of the car running (Idling and preferably a driving one.)

Talk to the owner at length on the phone to get an idea of who you're dealing with.

If you're not mechanically inclined or don't want a project, then I would pass. It will be a lot of work restoring that interior, fixing the rust, and whatever else the car needs. It's sitting really low. Might need new springs or more.

$3500 for a car with side drafts is pretty cheap but that's just the cost of entry. Not sure what your intentions are for the car but count on spending a lot more on top of that to get it sorted. Also factor in shipping, registration and taxes into the price and that's what you'll really be paying for it. 

Good luck!

mike tunney

Rust.

Rust.

Rust.

In the current market, if it's not rusty, and the LF damage is cosmetic, that's a fair price

If it has significant rust in it, you don't want it.  

Not saying it's not WORTH that much, just that you don't want it as your first 2002.

After that, you just have to evaluate the whole damned car, and decide if you're ready to

put whatever else it needs into it.

t

Rust.

Rust.

Rust.

In the current market, if it's not rusty, and the LF damage is cosmetic, that's a fair price

If it has significant rust in it, you don't want it.  

Not saying it's not WORTH that much, just that you don't want it as your first 2002.

After that, you just have to evaluate the whole damned car, and decide if you're ready to

put whatever else it needs into it.

t

... did I mention the rust?

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

If you can wrench on your car yourself the biggest thing is rust.  Stay away from it big time.  Also know the difference between surface rust and rust.  Also major dents or damage.  Yes they make patch panels but they are expensive and body work is super expensive and rarely its able to be done right in a non-professional setting.  I recently bought my 2002 which minor rear damage.  I thought it would be a simple fix.  After opening the car after purchase I realized it wasnt so simple.  It wasnt minor... it was major what it was is a bad repair job of bondo.  So Im looking at a MAJOR repair.  Very disappointed in myself for underestimating this. 

rarely its able to be done right in a non-professional setting.

I would take some issue with this- but only some.  Body repair's not hard-  IF you are diligent and workmanlike.  

But I would agree that tackling it as a first big car project by yourself is probably not a good idea...

Did I mention rust, too?

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

thanks for ur responses guys i am very aware of rust.. and am currently waiting on further detailed pics and information about the car. some guy from eastbay messaged me yesterday on this forum too and told me he had a 74 02 as well and it would be a better deal but i havent got any pics or nothing imparticular for that one yet... so just still waiting on these two guys hopefully one works out.. im not going to buy that manual right now unless i can find it in stores. so mainly just rust that isnt only on the surface ... how could i tell. i guess ill post pictures up here if these two sellers ever send me any haha. thanks for ur help i greatly appreciate it guys

also i wil not be able to see the car in montana in person nd i have no idea what a PPI to be honest haha ..

Even with a totally honest seller, you cannot rely upon someone to reliably and accurately explain all of the issues with their car over the phone or in email. Unless you can literally afford to throw away $3,500 plus shipping costs and you can't go and see it, I would not buy it.

If you don't care that you have spent $3,500+ on a car that might only be fit for scrap or spare parts when you look at it in the cold light of day then take a chance. You will obviously have the financial means to either write it off or plough the cash in to make it work.

If this is not you, wait until you find one locally you can look at and gauge for yourself.

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

I bought my 1975 BMW 2002 after completing a PPI using Facetime.  I was in San Diego, the car was in Fresno.  I spent 45 minutes going through the car, asking questions, examining documents, and going on a virtual test drive before pulling the trigger.  I flew to Fresno later in the week and drove the car home.  The Facetime PPI was instrumental in my decision to purchase the car after negotiating a price relative to the condition after inspection.  Not as good as being there in person, but better than static pictures if the seller is willing to do it.

Good luck,

Mark92131

post-33686-0-62960300-1438878662_thumb.j

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)