• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Distributor Question

tskoda

There are two types of dizzy.  Vac advance and mechanical advance.  The 002 you have is mechanical advance - I know, because I have one I had thought about using for my weber conversion.

I'm probably not going to use it now, but get one of these instead:

http://www.123ignitionusa.com/

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

@76MintGrun'02

The cap has a tab to fit into the notch in the dizzy. And your point on the condenser matching the coil is a good one I hadn't considered. Some PO in the dim past changed a good bit under the hood. Since the ballast resister is still there, I'll go with a stock coil and condenser.

@Buckeye

I haven't used IE before, but their site does seem to have what I need.

Thanks all

Tom

The 0 231 188 002 dizzy was a Bosch mechanical-advance-only replacement dizzy (JFD4) for BMW 1600ti, 2000ti, 2002tii, 520ti released in March 1979. While it's advance curve is similar but not identical to that of the BMW OEM dizzy originally on these vehicles, you should be able to use the same cap/rotor/points.

• Like 1

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

There are two types of dizzy.  Vac advance and mechanical advance.  The 002 you have is mechanical advance - I know, because I have one I had thought about using for my weber conversion.

In a sense there are three, the third being a combination of the two you mention.

I do not believe the 2002s ever used a vacuum only model, (but my 69 vw originally came with one).

The 2002 vacuum models have advance weights under the points plates (like the mechanical only units use).

You get the straight up rpm based advance, with the addition of a vacuum actuated 'puller' rotating 10-12 degrees further, as dictated by your foot on the gas pedal.  The distributor gets to 'communicate' with the carburetor, not just the camshaft.  

The 002 is like the 009 in the VW world.  'Simplified' replacement alternative that everybody and their brother put on their car to replace the tired stock unit.  I have owned over half a dozen VWs and they all had the 009.  

Fresh  and new trumps worn and tired, but worn and tired 002/009 replacements open up options, such as rebuilding or replacing.

I replaced the worn  002 after 'rebuilding' its (stock '76) mech/vac replacement.

This is my recommendation.  Get that one running on fresh components and observe the BB under the timing light.  

If it is moving all over the place, find a combination vac/mech stock one to tighten up, using Buckeye's article, or by having it done for you.  

You can use your new cap and rotor on either.

Or just 'run what you brung' and have fun.

The 002 is like the 009 in the VW world.  'Simplified' replacement alternative that everybody and their brother put on their car to replace the tired stock unit.

The 0 231 188 002 (as were the other Bosch 02 mech-only dizzys) was a mech-only performance model and would typically NOT be found as the cheap/easy/simplest replacement for a stock set-up on cars equipped with a mech-vac style.

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

...but it will work to get you going. 

Standard '73 or later'  tune up parts will work, just get yourself some spark at the right time and move on to the next problem. 

It may not be 'ideal', but it will certainly get the car running, and probably running pretty well.  When you have

trouble getting a baby's- bottom smooth idle, or power's a bit down at low revs, THEN come back to the dizzy.

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

The 009 was/is a popular replacement for stock VW units.

I found an 002 in my BMW... and made a comparison, based on my limited experience.

I don't see either as a 'cheap' replacement, but simple and easy? Yes.

By "simplified" I meant w/out the vacuum, not meant to be disparaging.

I guess it is a matter of personal preference. 

I was on my vacuum advance soapbox again... sorry.

Edited by '76Mintgrun'02

No, move over, I'm up right there with you.

Vacuum's a real 'advance' in ignition.... <sorry>

But an 002 will get the car started and running, and once it's

sorting- out time, THEN maybe revisit it.

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL