• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Distributor Question

tskoda

Just picked up a non-running 73 (10/72) 2002 and all the references I see to the distributor lists two model, ending 003 or 008

Mine ends in 002. For ignition components or conversion kits, like Pertronix, what the heck do I go with?

Pretty sure the not starting issue is related to ignition, but I don't want to buy stuff that won't fit...

Any thoughts on this?

thanks

Tom

I like esty's advice.

If, once it is running... you decide to pursue Pertronix, I would suggest calling their customer service department.  

Read them the full number on the distributor and they will tell you what to order.

I did that for my 002 Bosch that came with the car and they recommended model 2842, which is different (some how) from the 1847(?) that most people use.  The 2842 says "Bosch Marine Volvo Penta", but that is the one they told me to buy.  They had it at the local NAPA.

I took it out and went back to points.  I do not believe it 'fit' right, because it left 'arc marks' on just the trailing edge of the contact in the cap.  Here is an old thread in which I posted a photo of the cap and the 002 Distributor/Pertronix was discussed.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/146368-is-there-a-correct-pertronix-for-an-002-dizzy/?hl=%2Bpertronix+%2B2842#entry950137

More detail than you wanted, probably, but I would be interested in which model Pertronix suggests you install in your 002.

No, I understand the need to get the little thing running first. I was just using Pertronix as an example of a parts source that listed distributor numbers, of which mine wasn't one...

Part of the issue is the PO kinda gave up in the middle of his work, and there were several disconnected wires. While I think I have them connected correctly, I'll need a good shop manual with schematics to confirm.

Which manual has been found to be the most helpful?

Thanks

Tom

There are links to wiring diagrams in the archives that should come up with a little searching/reading.  

I bought a plastic laminated wiring diagram like this one  http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-2002-tii-1972-1973-COLOR-Wiring-Diagram-11x17-/320343024145?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item4a95eea211&vxp=mtr

unfortunately, I ordered the one listed here, for 72-73 cars and I have a 76...

I am not sure about the wiring information in the Haynes manual, but it is a helpful book to have on hand.

sorry - I should have been more specific - points, condenser, cap and rotor for that dizzy.

None of my normal sources (Rock Auto, FCPGroton, RM European, Pelican Parts and BAV Auto) list that dizzy number for any model Tii.

Various searches on the open web return lots of hits but so far I haven't found any that show parts numbers for the above mentioned items.

I suspect, in the interest of getting this thing running without putzing around too much longer, I'll end up buying the stock dizzy and going from there...

Not crazy abouyt the possible cost, but the car was next to nothing, so I guess I'll bite the bullet.

thanks

Tom

I don't think you need to give up on that distributor, based on finding tune up parts.  

They are not all that special, but I could be wrong.

There are two basic styles of caps for the Bosch units.

The tab that aligns them with the body is either an 'innie or an outie'.

The 002 distributor has a notch in the rim to accept an 'outie' style cap, common to many models.

The rotor is common as well, along with the points.

The condenser selection has more to do with the coil you are running, than the distributor body, unless I am mistaken.

My car came with a 002 installed and I simply called Blunttech and told Steve I wanted a cap, points, condenser and rotor and he sent them my way.

I will also add these words of wisdom from this thread http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/167956-dizzyaster/

I'm going to channel CD here and go on a mini tirade- (in general, not aimed at you in particular, Dave, and only because it's been a while since it's been said) :   Distributors are consumable.  They don't last as long as a set of rings or valve guides. After 50k, they're due for a rebuild/bush/spring depending on which generation they are.At 100k, they're not working remotely like they should be.This here's proof that sometime after that, they saw themselves in half... If your distributor's not working like it should, you've got half (or less) of what a 2002 really can be. (end of tirade)   Anyway, along with brakes, clutch, pedal pivots, blah de blah, your dizzy is something that's worth examining closely when you buy the car. And then every 50k or so later- more often if you track it regularly. I got something like 5 years out of a racing one...   Whut I tink,

Distributors are a thick topic.  It is hard to know what all to add... hth.  

I don't think you need to give up on that distributor, based on finding tune up parts.  

They are not all that special, but I could be wrong.

There are two basic styles of caps for the Bosch units.

The tab that aligns them with the body is either an 'innie or an outie'.

The 002 distributor has a notch in the rim to accept an 'outie' style cap, common to many models.

The rotor is common as well, along with the points.

The condenser selection has more to do with the coil you are running, than the distributor body, unless I am mistaken.

My car came with a 002 installed and I simply called Blunttech and told Steve I wanted a cap, points, condenser and rotor and he sent them my way.

+1

Tom, show us a few pictures of that distributor, cap, etc. There is a lot knowledgeable member here that can help out and you always can do “Parts Wanted” section for parts/components.

You also can contact Jeff for rebuilding yours.

http://www.advanceddistributors.com/

Here link for two different type distributor caps:

http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/2002-ignition.html

Edited by Buckeye

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10