• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I just had to remove the head on my engine for a head gasket issue. While i was at it i had to remove and decided to replace some of the ignition components such as the points and coil. However now that i have it rebuilt i can't seem to get any spark from the plugs. What are some of the things that i should double check that could be causing this issue. Thanks in advance.

Max

Go Boilermakers!

There are a finite number of causes (other than "black swans") for a no-spark condition:  (the below procedure presumes stock ign--points, no CD system etc)

1.  Is the coil getting +12 volts?  check with a voltmeter

2.  If so, is the coil putting out its requisite high voltage?  With the ignition on and the dizzy cap off, force the points open with an insulated screwdriver.  You should get a small spark.  If you do...

3.  Have someone crank the engine while you hold the coil high tension wire (unplugged from the dizzy cap) near a ground.  You should get a healthy blue-white spark.  If you do...

4. Carefully examine the carbon contact at the center of the cap on the underside.  It should spring back when you push it in; the spring allows it to maintain contact with the rotor.  If it's stuck in its bore, you won't get spark to the plugs.  If it's OK... 

5. Reconnect the coil wire and go through the same procedure with a plug wire.  You'll probably need to do this with a spark plug connected to the plug terminal.  Lay the plug on the valve cover and have someone crank the engine to see if there's a spark at the plug.   

if you have a spark there and the car still won't start, then the timing is off.  It's pretty easy to accidentally reset the timing 180 degrees out...

Happy troubleshooting.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

check all the connections at lest twice, hope you took pictures.

That's Kinda the issue. I've been in a rush to fix it and i'm doing this in a parking lot so i forgot to take pictures. I did find one plug near the distributor that wasn't connected but i can't seem to find a spot to plug it into. I have the one that goes to the condenser but there is another in that same area that i can't match up.

Go Boilermakers!

If the wire near the dizzy is black, it may be the tach wire--but the engine will run with the tach disconnected so that shouldn't be the problem.  Suggest going thru the step-by-step diagnostic above to try and pinpoint the problem.  If the unplugged wire is the 12volt feed to the coil, then there's your problem.  No coil voltage, no spark.  No spark, no run.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

What wires should I have on each end of the coil. I can't seem to get any spark from the coil. My guess is I mixed up plus and minus.

7b25e98b805c53adcda4ffaf3c4f6f6e.jpg

See coil wiring diagram.

post-43112-0-46719500-1436566472_thumb.p

I noticed  "resisto rwire" is connected to the coil. Resistor wire is the one looks like speaker wire. And then I see "Blue Coil".

Not good combinition. unless you terminated the resistor wire. Blue coil has got internal resistor therefore, does not require external resistor wire. But original coil and resistor wire much better than blue coil with internal resistor. Do you still have the original coil and what are the numbers st bottom og coil canister.

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

See coil wiring diagram.

attachicon.gifCoil wiring.PNG

I noticed  "resisto rwire" is connected to the coil. Resistor wire is the one looks like speaker wire. And then I see "Blue Coil".

Not good combinition. unless you terminated the resistor wire. Blue coil has got internal resistor therefore, does not require external resistor wire. But original coil and resistor wire much better than blue coil with internal resistor. Do you still have the original coil and what are the numbers st bottom og coil canister.

The one i pulled out was an old blue coil as well. It was with the car when i bought it. I think i mixed up the way everything plugs in. Also by "speaker wire" do you mean the black wire that goes the the plug with 19 on it?

Edited by 182kartracer

Go Boilermakers!

most likely the original coil was Bosch 0 221 119 016

Read following carefuly

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/166697-ballast-resistor-blue-coil-black-coil-questions-questions/

pay attention to post #23 for replacement coil, but you must confirm that you still have "resistor wire" in your wire harness to the coil.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/106721-coil-wiring-problem/

most likely the original coil was Bosch 0 221 119 016

Read following carefuly

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/166697-ballast-resistor-blue-coil-black-coil-questions-questions/

pay attention to post #23 for replacement coil, but you must confirm that you still have "resistor wire" in your wire harness to the coil.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/106721-coil-wiring-problem/

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10