• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need some help identifying a 2002

Thanks Paul! great site, I do now see that Jim's paint has matured into a lighter shade of the original brown. He may want to get some wax on that and see if it pops back a bit (/sarcasm). Fun stuff!

Here is a picture of the underside of the decklid.  Shows Nevada much better here.

DSC_3369.jpg

Here is a scruffy Nevada 71.

IMG_6627.jpg

I changed the color on my car to Riviera last summer.

IMG_9486_zps886cc069.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Ah, sorry about that delay, the week got busy, here is the "birth certificate":

This VIN belongs to a BMW 2002 US built on June 4th, 1969 and delivered on June 12th, 1969 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Nevada, paint code 001.

Love those paint color names, I'm left with no clue as to the actual color. Not sure what was wrong with "White" as a descriptive for the car buying public of 1969?

Wow - your car VIN is so close to mine (even the same paint color) but built a couple days later.  Either sales were slow or BMW was building other models on the same line (perhaps European market ones). 

Jim Gerock

Wow, that blue really pops! I've got shade envy now. I used to have a Vespa of that same color you have now. I ended up blacking out everything else including the chrome and it absolutely looked brilliant. I find the shade I had painted, the fjord, accepts the chrome accent better. If you have the means and the time you should consider going all black on the trim and see how you like it. Probably not a weekend and change you mind kind of statement.

I am back in school right now and one of my assignments tangent'ed off to how many cars are produced a day by GM in a given plant. I wonder what those production numbers were like in 1969. I'm pretty sure we have seen an explosion in production, but if you look at the models by production years and assume same plant/line production for most you could probably calculate in the largess of German vacation time and get to a round number of sorts. I'll do some back of the envelope and see what they must have been pushing and get back to you on that!

Wow, that blue really pops! I've got shade envy now. I used to have a Vespa of that same color you have now. I ended up blacking out everything else including the chrome and it absolutely looked brilliant. I find the shade I had painted, the fjord, accepts the chrome accent better. If you have the means and the time you should consider going all black on the trim and see how you like it. Probably not a weekend and change you mind kind of statement.

I am back in school right now and one of my assignments tangent'ed off to how many cars are produced a day by GM in a given plant. I wonder what those production numbers were like in 1969. I'm pretty sure we have seen an explosion in production, but if you look at the models by production years and assume same plant/line production for most you could probably calculate in the largess of German vacation time and get to a round number of sorts. I'll do some back of the envelope and see what they must have been pushing and get back to you on that!

All bright trim is back on the car now.   I've always loved Riviera on the 02.  Matthew Cervi's 73tii is the first in that shade I have ever seen.

aba53707.jpg

Most europeans have their "holiday" breaks in the July/August timeframe (at least that's what I have experienced).

Jim Gerock

Nothing in me seems to be able to enjoy that color. It almost looks better faded than it did originally. What were they thinking in 1969?

I wonder what colors will be retrospectively trash talked by my son in 30 years. He would have to say "Wow, someone decided to paint these sports cars xxxx back in 1994"

and that color may be yellow? perhaps the 1990 light green Plymouth Acclaim??

I can see why this color was so rare. A lot of vespas of that era were an olive drab. I'm thinking it was a fashion piece color. Doesn't seem timeless to me, but I have horrible taste in all things. I usually strip the original paint off anything I find, but it's normally needed to save it from the cancer that is rust, then I can never bring myself to paint it something that doesn't pop in my mind's eye. Maybe one day I will go nutty and repaint this car in its original color and everyone who knows my history can say "He's gone mad, color numb!"

I'm only teasing. The color is already beginning to grow on me.

John,

My decision to change the color to Riviera was a joint one between me and my wife.  My wife didn't like the original color when the car showed up on the trailer.  I thought it was a nice contrast to my "Malaga" 73tii but later wanted another color.  I've always been partial to blue, then red. The best thing about owning a 2002 is that they came in many different colors.  

BMWColorsPoster.jpg

Jim Gerock

• 2 weeks later...

I have 1664801, built 17 Feb 1969, and the 40th "second series" '69 off the assembly line--that is, model year '69s that were assembled after 1 Jan '69, when additional Federal safety and emission requirements took effect.  

At 1664761 the factory made a bunch of changes:  long to short neck diff, inner and outer CV joint rear axles, three speed heater blower, side reflectors, etc etc.  So yours is definitely a mid to late year '69, but one that's had a lot of modifications over the years--not uncommon at all.  I've managed to keep mine stock from new, so if you need any authenticity info, drop me an e-mail.

cheers

mike 

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Hej John,

what I can add: the sublime longwise lines on the front half of the front wheel housings are from '69 or older. Late '69s have already crosswise low lines.

Remove the rubber bag a bit from the shifter. If there's a kind of ring on the middle tunnel to fix the bag, the body is early '71 or older.

The rubber fuel intake is also early '71 or older, but this version has always been fixed to the sidewall with a clamp around it. Only '71+ have this four screws around. The fixing of the intake seems to be a combination of both versions- not known here in Alemania.

Fjord came here from '71+, not earlier, but I'm not entirely sure about this.

All this concerns euro cars, maybe US cars have spec specs.

Yours,

Henning

post-42081-0-57278400-1423463377_thumb.j

Hej John,

what I can add: the sublime longwise lines on the front half of the front wheel housings are from '69 or older. Late '69s have already crosswise low lines.

Remove the rubber bag a bit from the shifter. If there's a kind of ring on the middle tunnel to fix the bag, the body is early '71 or older.

The rubber fuel intake is also early '71 or older, but this version has always been fixed to the sidewall with a clamp around it. Only '71+ have this four screws around. The fixing of the intake seems to be a combination of both versions- not known here in Alemania.

Fjord came here from '71+, not earlier, but I'm not entirely sure about this.

All this concerns euro cars, maybe US cars have spec specs.

Yours,

Henning

Hello again, Henning!

Yes, it does appear that some things have been altered, and some things have always been different for U.S. cars. As to color, buried in posting #26 of this thread is the correct BMW Archives information. This was a Nevada car manufactured June 4, 1969.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)