• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Holy rare parts batman!

Nesset127

Trouble is... that guy knows what he's got. I dig the rear seats! Too bad he doesn't have the Alpina steering box, I'd grab that for sure. The plastic wood on the gauge cluster is still ugly, if it's legit that's kind of lame for Alpina, but I guess they were more about horsepower back then! I'm redoing mine with a mahogany veneer over the plastic. It's looking good so far.

I had written a number of posts on blog about this subject.  It isn't a big deal, unless your the one that just paid a pile of cash for one of these that is allegedly a legit AlpinA unit.  Some "may" be legit, more often than not they are standard gauges that someone has had the AlpinA log applied to.  I haven't ever been able to find in any of the old catalog's I have a speedometer that AlpinA offered.  Tachometer's yes, speedometer no.  I have seen some of these gauges with the AlpinA logo in MPH as well, hard to imagine honestly that they were taking US version speedo's and putting their logo on them, especially considering that back then very few AlpinA parts were coming into the US pre-1977. Ditto for the temp gauge as well - why?  The whole font thing is something of a mixed bag as well as to exactly what year the more modern font came into play, they (AlpinA did put their logo on the E-21 instruments (Speedo/Tacho).  I have one of their tacho's (see link below), "silver dollar" style, the outside of the bezel has a red line needle that you can adjust to whatever red line you desire.  Somewhere I have an image of a cluster that had the tacho like I have plus the 220/240 kph tacho.  I started a dialog with Lars AlpinA about this sometime ago, I'll ping him with an email and see what he has to say.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/130808-alpina-tachometer/

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com

I'm pretty sure Miller & Norburn in Durham NC were bringing in Alpina goodies during the 2002 era--never could afford the stuff then, but I remember seeing Alpina stuff at their shop--and this was back in the mid-late 70s...but I dont' remember gauges...mostly performance parts, steering wheels and shift knobs.

I'll have to check my old Miller & Norburn catalog.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite