• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kudos to The Clock Works and while I'm at it...

PaulTWinterton

I fixed my tii clock about 9 months ago and was pretty proud of myself.  Then it stopped again.  Amateur hour.  So I decided to send it off to The Clock Works in Wisconsin for servicing.

Summary:

-USPS $30 from Vancouver to Wisconsin -  5 days

- 2 day service by The Clock Works $90 - and encouragement that I will get years of use.

-USPS $30 Wisconsin to Vancouver 4 days.

Way less than the competition and great personalized service.  All during the Christmas rush!  The clock has been running now for a week.  Perfect time so far.  CLUNK!

While I had the console out I decided to strip, re-stain, and re-varnish my MOMO steering wheel. I've always thought it looked too pale and too dominant in the car.   I used dark walnut stain and 5 coats of Urethane. 600grit between coats. Removing the center piece was a good thing, I think.  Too much wood.

Before:

post-38825-0-32517600-1419999357_thumb.j

After:

post-38825-0-69772400-1419999392_thumb.j

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Pretty!

My tii clock loses a few minutes per week. I think the car just wants me to drive it more.

;-)

Cheers,

(no I don't have a tii anymore -- but I put the clock in 15 years ago!)

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I have the same Momo Alpina wheel and removed the center ring as well.  (I saved it, of course).  I prefer the simplicity without it.  That walnut stain looks rich with your dark interior.  

My interior is tan, so the wheel does not stand out so much; but it does need refinishing.  

Thank you for sharing.  I find it inspiring.

011.jpg

The dark stain looks great. my clock loses a minute or two per week. Just glad it works, when it fails I'll send it to The Clockworks.

I notice you also have a Golde wind deflector, nice. I have one too.

Here's my steering wheel it's from a CS coupe.

post-38744-0-69444800-1420136620_thumb.j

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Cool. Cool. Cool.

Light steering wheels in light interiors looks so much better.

The MOMO is fun to work with. Striping, sanding and painting is very satisfying. Lots of masking tape covering non-work areas. Removing tape and revealing the finished wheel is the MOST fun.

I refinished the center wood piece separately, even though I won't use it.

Minwax Polyurethane (gloss clearcoat) is a great product. I used a soft 1" brush, and very thin coats right out of the can. Spreads like water, looks like glass, dries in 6-8 hours to a hard surface, before sanding with wet/dry 600grit. I did this 5 times. Looks like a pro job.

73 Inka Tii #2762958