• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

123 Ignition Distributor....any Info Or Personal Experience?

jrhone

Actually the spacers are downstream of the butterflies so you would get manifold vacuum.  However if you are tight for space fitting filters/trumpets this may add to that issue.  I would think tapping the manifold would be easier in some situations.

I have been preaching to those thinking about Webers to consider the DCOM for this reason.  Makes tuning and timing a breeze.

Dellortos have the vacuum ports naturally.  FYI. so do late italian Weber DCOM.   Which were copies of the Dells.. made for production Peugeot and other.  Steve, from page one, has DCOM.

Using the spacers won't render the vacuum behind the butterflies, which is what you want for advance at idle.  You'll get high vacuum at open throttle, but not at idle.

hey now...I did say DCOEs and "some" others...  :)

My DDHs have them, thankfully. Seems all I ever read about is DCOEs, so I'm guessing that the majority of sidedraft users on FAQ are running them (I guess we could find out...how do you start an FAQ poll?)

My point is, that there is a need out there... I know I struggled for a lonnnnng time using a Tii dizzy and when I installed the 123 and added the vacuum advance, my stumbling on deceleration and idle went away... If DCOE users are experiencing that, it could be a way to help them with the "90%  of their carb problems are ignition"

Most folks are told to use the Tii dizzy and that's that...but there is certainly more to the ignition puzzle.

Ed

well... I just read the additional posts... seems the ports would not be properly placed for idle conditions. I knew it was too easy..

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Well, mine are PHH and no DCOE and afaik I have no vacuum on the carbs. I also don't want to tap the manifold because the sidedraft manifolds for 1600 are very hard to find in original condition. On the other hand, I don't have any problem with my current setup without vacuum and the 123. Should I add vacuum to the 123 with these spacers?

BMW 1602 (1975) - 3978554 - Fjord Blue metallic with double Solex PHH40

BMW 3.0 CSi (1974) - 4340715 - Nightblue metallic

Well, mine are PHH and no DCOE and afaik I have no vacuum on the carbs. I also don't want to tap the manifold because the sidedraft manifolds for 1600 are very hard to find in original condition. On the other hand, I don't have any problem with my current setup without vacuum and the 123. Should I add vacuum to the 123 with these spacers?

You can easy use brake booster vacuum... You can give aditional T-link and smaller one use for 123ignition. But you should use damper to even your vacuum pulsation...

Best regards

Blaz

I haven't downloaded it yet, but adding the static # would more accurately reflect the total ignition curve.

Ed

You can easy use brake booster vacuum... You can give aditional T-link and smaller one use for 123ignition. But you should use damper to even your vacuum pulsation...

That's pretty much the only option indeed... Do you have an idea which kind of damper I could use? I have no idea where I could find such a thing.

Le Tran pointed out that the Ireland side draft manifold is drilled between runners, and that works to stabilize the pulses AND it has threaded holes in the middle-bottom, for a connection.

Yes, but does IE have a manifold for 1600? These have smaller intake ports on the cilinder head. Edited by Laurent1602

BMW 1602 (1975) - 3978554 - Fjord Blue metallic with double Solex PHH40

BMW 3.0 CSi (1974) - 4340715 - Nightblue metallic

That's pretty much the only option indeed... Do you have an idea which kind of damper I could use? I have no idea where I could find such a thing.

Basically this is just a copper or whatever fitting that has a small hole inside. Or even better chambers with smal holes. Small hole is like 0,5mm-0,8mm big. But this must be aded before one way valve to brake booster.

Did not find one, but im sure someone sells it. Or you can go to local finemachanic and im sure he can do this.

Best regards

Blaz

Here's the damper to use:

http://www.dellorto.co.uk/merchandise/products_details.asp?PartNo=APV001&CategoryID=12&PartsectionID=71

Yes, but does IE have a manifold for 1600? These have smaller intake ports on the cilinder head.

Um..  went down a rabbit hole.  Just got out.

Tell me what you think.. oh.  and the Google preview is wonky.  Download and open in excel.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2G6354NBO8UT1Q1Y1h6a0tRRE0/view?usp=sharing

Edited by eurotrash

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

That is fantastic stuff, J.  Well done. (yes, Google preview is no good; downloaded file seems perfecto)

Can't wait to put my numbers in and see what the 3D graph looks like!  And what a great way to build a library of curves for us 123 users.

Awesome

Ed Z

...take a gold star out of petty cash  :)