• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 2002's Issues (Safety Inspection Results)

MildSeven

Just passed the Quebec safety inspection, which I had to go through because the car came from Ontario.

Safety issues:

- Hole in driver's side floor pan

- Transmission is leaking (on exhaust pipe)

- Front bearings

Others:

- Differential leaking (looks like it was around seam and where a cv connects on the side)

- Motor leaking in a few places

- Accelerator pedal wobbles (moves away and toward foot) under acceleration and bumps

- Transmission has sloppy side to side play, even when engaged

I passed the inspection (friend of a friend of a friend) which is what i wanted to do before starting work on anything.

Thoughts? Comments? Advice?

Edited by MildSeven

picked up what i thought was a sound Verona Red '76

The Refresh Blog: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/155-76-verona-red-refresh/

2nd Marshall. Also, make sure the leaks are not too bad. 

I don´t know if you have any experience on working on cars, but in case you don´t(or do, but forget things :-D) my short list of things learned when working:

1. When you start fixing everything, beware of scope creep. Plan for twice the work you estimate, and triple costs.

2. Make sure you have all the parts and tools required for the job, and then some. 

2,5. Having an ample supply of bolts, nuts, washers and other misc. stuff can save your weekend.

3. Know yourself, and you shall unscrew a hundred bolts, know your theory, and you shall be really disappointed when it does not work. (Sun Tzu, almost)

3,1: That means you need to know what you need to work. I need coffee, quality tools, WD-40 and a warm and dry to wrench. 

4: Remember, this is a hobby, enjoy it

Fix ACCELERATOR PEDAL!

Did some quick searching didn't find anyone with similar issue any thoughts?

2nd Marshall. Also, make sure the leaks are not too bad. 

I don´t know if you have any experience on working on cars, but in case you don´t(or do, but forget things :-D) my short list of things learned when working:

1. When you start fixing everything, beware of scope creep. Plan for twice the work you estimate, and triple costs.

2. Make sure you have all the parts and tools required for the job, and then some. 

2,5. Having an ample supply of bolts, nuts, washers and other misc. stuff can save your weekend.

3. Know yourself, and you shall unscrew a hundred bolts, know your theory, and you shall be really disappointed when it does not work. (Sun Tzu, almost)

3,1: That means you need to know what you need to work. I need coffee, quality tools, WD-40 and a warm and dry to wrench. 

4: Remember, this is a hobby, enjoy it

thanks for the advice... I have some minor experience but I want to learn and do as much as I can.

The scope creep was the reason i didn't start looking in to issues prior to inspection, I would have never made it to inspection.

Re: accelerator pedal - you might be missing the white bushing on the accelerator rod (keeps the metal back of the pedal off the rod itself), or the base of the pedal (2 balls that the pedal fits onto) on the floor might have some rust/rot/damage.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

The pedal is/was held to the floor by two nubs, which often go away with that portion of the floor.  There are quite a few threads on replacing this with a hinge.  Marshall has one in the FAQ section.  

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/_/technical-articles/body-and-interior/gas-pedal-hinge-to-replace-the-evil-nubs-r80

If you have rusty floors, chances are good this is your problem.  Have you looked at it yet?  Maybe the pedal has just popped off the nubs...  You might pull up the carpet and see what you have.  I had to replace that section of my floor and have yet to put a pedal back.  I am using a "roller" instead and have been enjoying it.

thanks for all the replies guys!

Re: accelerator pedal - you might be missing the white bushing on the accelerator rod (keeps the metal back of the pedal off the rod itself), or the base of the pedal (2 balls that the pedal fits onto) on the floor might have some rust/rot/damage.

The pedal is/was held to the floor by two nubs, which often go away with that portion of the floor.  There are quite a few threads on replacing this with a hinge.  Marshall has one in the FAQ section.  

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/_/technical-articles/body-and-interior/gas-pedal-hinge-to-replace-the-evil-nubs-r80

If you have rusty floors, chances are good this is your problem.  Have you looked at it yet?  Maybe the pedal has just popped off the nubs...  You might pull up the carpet and see what you have.  I had to replace that section of my floor and have yet to put a pedal back.  I am using a "roller" instead and have been enjoying it.

Yeah, it feels kinda funny, like my food will be down on the pedal and i feel it move back and forth after a bump. like the entire pedal is moving away and back in a "wave-like" motion.

The previous owner said:

2. Notice how the gas pedal 'warbles' when the engine is revved? I was told that that was the result of a broken motor mount. That behaviour only started a few months ago. I've only driven the car fewer than 20 km since the behaviour first presented and never had it professionally diagnosed. It could be something else.

Hey MildSeven. Where about are you in Quebec, I'm from montreal. Give me a shout if I can give you a hand or something.

hey, I'm in Montreal as well.. Dorval to be precise.

hey, I'm in Montreal as well.. Dorval to be precise.

My folks are in Roxboro, and I'm actually moving out to St-Henri in a few weeks. But I'm going to be back and forth for while. Like I said, don't be shy, I hardly pass on an opportunity to turn a wrench, or just come and check out the car.

My folks are in Roxboro, and I'm actually moving out to St-Henri in a few weeks. But I'm going to be back and forth for while. Like I said, don't be shy, I hardly pass on an opportunity to turn a wrench, or just come and check out the car.

Cool... I'm a former VW guy. So this is all new to me, what’s a carburetor anyway? :P

I have a couple of former VW buddies who encouraged me to make the purchase who will give a hand. Maybe we could meet up one time so you can give share some advice/views on what I got myself in to.