• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello Everyone. I just wanted to make a quick introduction. I've come on here for some time now looking for information and figured is was about time. I'm from the Scranton, PA area, but currently live on Long Island. After having an interest in these cars for some time, I finally was able to pick up this 1974 tii, with a sunroof, a while back. Originally from CA, it needed a good bit of work when I got her, but it ran fine.

Came with several upgrades installed already:

-Exhaust header

-Intake

-MSD Ignition 

-IE sway bars

-Front strut tower brace with engine torque stabilizer

-Rear strut tower brace with the battery relocated to the trunk

-Bilstein shocks

-SS braided brake lines

-320i 5-Speed conversion

-Momo steering wheel

-Recaro seats 

After the usual preventive maintenance, I had some minor rust and dents taken care of and resprayed in the original color. I just installed some new Hella 500FFs with the brackets from Pierre for some added light. The interior needs a lot of work so that's what I'm working on now. Planning on getting a carpet kit from Only02 as well as recovering the seats. I'd like to tighten up the steering and the shifter. Does anyone make solid bushings for the 320i transmission or would you recommend installing a short shifter kit? Anyway, that's about it. She a blast to drive. I've never gotten stopped so much at gas pumps, lol. Looking forward to taking the gf on a road trip this summer. I'm sure I'll post more pictures at some point. What do you guys think?  :)

post-42652-0-02936300-1397053718_thumb.j

1974 2002tii (Restoration in progress)

Nice looking car, and, it appears you on the right track with most of your work on the car.  The one thing I'd mention is you might want to compare the carpeting available for your car with esty and what she can provide.  Many, many people on this site have her '02 carpet in their cars and they always seem pleased with the product.  Just go to the thread immediately below this one and scroll to the bottom of her post for a link to her site.  You won't be sorry you at least checked out what esty can make for you.

Bob Napier

Re transmission mount:  suggest using either the E21 (320) mount or one from a Bavaria if they're not installed already.  They're both larger and more robust than the original 2002 mount.  Not sure I'd go with a urethane mount as it will transmit much more vibration to the car's body shell--and the larger E21/Bavaria mounts are stiffer than the 02 mount simply because they're larger.

Nice looking car, BTW--and welcome to the fraternity/sorority.  And second the motion on Esty's carpets.  I've seen her work many times and it is NICE!

I have a short shift kit on my E30--I've had E30s both ways, and here's the difference.  Stock--somewhat longer throws (not excessive, just longer) with very smooth action between gears.  Short shift--much shorter throws, very positive and notchy, and takes more effort to move the gear lever.  Both have points to recommend; it boils down to personal preference.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks Mike, 

My shifter has too much side to side play while in gear. They make solid bushings to address this issue for my Z. I was wondering if someone made something similar for us, or I'll just get a SS from Bavaria (which is what I'm leaning to). 

-Sam

1974 2002tii (Restoration in progress)

WRT to your shifter side play...what you may need is to rebuild your shift linkage.  It's not a difficult job, and Blunt (Steve Petersen on this board) has a kit with all the necessary parts--just tell him the year of your car as there are two different linkage arrangements.  Bet it's never been rebuilt and all the little plastic bushings are worn out.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Ha. What do you guys usually recommend if you don't have the stock air box?

Well I recommend the stock airbox, unless you want to spend dyno time trying and charting alternatives.

Others may have a different opinion :)

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Try placing an ad in the PARTS WANTED section of this board.  You want an original air filter housing and be sure and list the year of your car and type of carburator you have.  Something should show up - I see them offered for sale all the time.  When you find one also order a new air filter for it.

Bob Napier

You want an original air filter housing and be sure and list the year of your car and type of carburator you have.

If'n it's still a tii it has no carb, but then you knew that ;)

IMHO a large K&N filter is fine, I ran one for years. But if you search you will see no one has shown any HP difference. If you need originality you can buy a stock 2002tii air filter housing. Welcome to the club! --Fred

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)