nicktahoe

Temp Sensor Threads....size?

6 posts / 854 viewsLast Reply

Does anybody know what the thread size to the temp sensor is? It looks like M12x1.5 by eyeballing it. Any help is always appreciated. 

I went through this a few months back while installing dual carbs. The 320i water neck I had didn't have any sensors in it and I needed to plug two ports. I couldn't find a properly sized bolt so I took the neck gown to my local Goodyear auto shop, where I know the manager. He dumped a 5 gallon bucket of nuts, bolts and assorted fasteners on the floor and we sifted through them till we found what would fit. He even gave me o-rings to help seal them up.

Turns out the thread size is the same as some lug bolts, as that's what I ended up with. Here's some pics of the water neck, before and after.

post-42878-0-84162300-1395735897_thumb.j

post-42878-0-09642700-1395735975_thumb.j

Ha Ed.  I just found this through the search function.

On the E30 water neck I just bought, it has two sizes of hole.  The large size is M14 1.5.  The small one is M12 x 1.5.

The M14 hole was plugged by what I thought was a flange bolt.  Found it finally on the internet.  It's really an oil pan plug.  The M12 1.5 that I just found (also couldn't find a flange bolt)?  Also an oil pan plug.

I even went around to a few European repair shops to see if they had any old sensors...but they just get thrown away, of course.  Mine looks  Frankenstein-ish...but hasn't leaked a drop in 8 months.

At Mid AMerica, Jack Fahuna was with me as I was checking the synch on my carbs; he was looking over my engine and spotted my water neck...he laughed," I like it! Great way to use a resource!" He's a pretty funny guy.