• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bf Goodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 V. Yokohama S-Drive

dasfrogger

I'm looking for a new set of 195/50 r15's and have narrowed it down to the BF Goodrich G-Force sport Comp-2 or the Yokohama S-Drive. I know that S-Drive's have been popular with folks here and haven't heard much of anything about the BFG's.

From tire rack reviews and some press articles it seems like the BFG's are great tires, and are supposedly superior to the Yokohamas. Anyone have any experience?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Sport+COMP-2&partnum=95VR5GFSPC2

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=S.drive&partnum=95VR5S&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Ive had both tires on different cars.  S Drives on my M2 and BFGs on a 400WHP Turbo e30

The BFGs hook really well and I like everything about them. The S drives are a great all around tire as well but the BFGs seem stickier. Not clear on mileage yet as Ive only run them 3k miles. Granted these are on 2 different cars but I prefer the BFGs

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

I also have the BFGs and they definitly are stickey and do reccomend them, son's car has the yokohamas and I don't think there is a comparision.  To be fair though his car is pretty stock (polys and not much else) and mine is significantly modified in the suspension dept.

Dennis

1975 BMW 2002 - Poly, coil overs, big brakes, rear IE springs, IE front/rear sway bars, turbo flares, strut braces F&R, limited slip, IE header, Recaro, stainless Magnaflo exhaust, rear spoiler, Minilites, 5 OD, etc.

I cant comment on either, but this is a tribute to frustrations i have with tires. At a certain point i figure that 200aa a tires or whatever they may be must all be pretty similar but with tradeoffs for dry vs wet performance, grip vs durability, precision vs comfort etc. sometimes i want to throw my hands up, and just roll the dice and pick one.

The car and driver "monsters of grip" blinded back to back objective and subjective comparisons are the best to date, but the last is from 2012, so is not super current.

Still, read around and get multiple opinions as i am sure you are. Good news for my tii is that high performance summer tires in 13 or 14 have only a few choices, which makes my decisions easy.

1973 2002Tii (Pacific Blue)

1984 911 3.2 Carrera (Platnum Metallic)

2009 328xi (Black Sapphire Metallic)

2010 Mazda Speed3 (Black Metallic)

I wonder how the BFG's do in the wet. I know my S.Drives are pretty good in cooler temps and wet conditions for being a summer tire.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

20k miles for $410 shipped(60)/mounted locally(50) is really good.

I have S-drives, but the car they're on isn't running and I have yet to use them. Picked up Direzza Z2's for my other car, also not running yet...

What I can say is the Tirerack is super on top of it. I ordered my Z2's at 2pm and they arrived the next day at 11am w/standard shipping between NV and OR(500miles by road according to google)...Blew my mind!

New M20 swap mounts when I get around to welding them up. I should make this font smaller because it may never happen...🙃

'71 2002 Restomod under the knife, 2012,...2018, 2019 it will run again! 2024? IDK

'74 260z K24 swap

The BFGs do in fact dry out long before they wear out (unless you put on a whole lot of miles in a very short amount of time).

Once they dry, they suck.

Yokos are very good about not drying out, are super quiet for what they are, and are excellent in the wet.

It is a misnomer that summer tires are not good in the rain.  The people from Yokohama will in fact tell you that the S Drives (as well as some of their more serious sport tires) will yield the fastest wet lap times of any of their tires.

I've had both the BFGs and Sdrives back to back on my car and I would strongly recommend the S Drives as an overall performer.

Edited by Colin

FWIW. I will be getting about 25k out of my S.Drives. They will most likely be replaced this summer, so I got about three and a half years out of them.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2