• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clutch Master Install, Missing Pushrod Bushing?

Gil. H.
Go to solution Solved by Gil. H.,

I replaced my clutch master cylinder yesterday and noticed that the connecting bolt that goes through the pedal and master cylinder pushrod is a different size. The pushrod diameter is larger than the securing bolt. Am I missing a bushing or have the wrong master cylinder(Installed an FTE)?

This is the second replacement in as many years. Not too hard a job, just HATE the upper bolt. I did notice that the opening on the the pushrod I just replaced had elongated (became an oval) due to the difference in size to the securing bolt. There was enough play that it deformed the opening in the pushrod. So, I want to get this addressed.

Any insight is appreciated.

Gil. Hernandez
'73 2002 - Fjord Blue
Austin, TX

A trick on that clutch M/C upper bolt.  Before installing you new M/C, grind a little off the M/C body just below the flange that holds the upper bolt.  It should only take a mm or two,and there's plenty of thickness to the cylinder casting so it won't miss a couple of silly millimeters.  That grinding will allow you to get a socket on that upper bolt/nut instead of an open end wrench.  Much easier installation/removal.  

As for the pushrod, can you post a picture to show what you're describing?

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

IMG_1481%5B1%5D.JPG

Here's a photo of the clutch M/C pushrod. It's been made larger, oval, due to the original pushrod diameter being larger than the bolt that secures the pushrod to the pedal bracket.

If the hole in the pushrod was the same size as the securing bolt, then this wouldn't be an issue. But since it's slightly larger, it takes additional force that deforms the pushrod, appears to be made of aluminum.

Anyone know if there's a bushing that I'm missing or is this the wrong size rod connector for this m/c.

Thanks.

GAH

Gil. Hernandez
'73 2002 - Fjord Blue
Austin, TX

IIRC, there are (2) styles of the pushrod end - one is round, the other is hexagonal.  Not sure why BMW changed that part - maybe one is stronger than the other.

I am amazed that your pedal didn't drive you crazy with that much wear - your original nylon bushings must have crumbled and fell into the bottom of the pedal box.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

J.

I replaced the m/c as it was leaking badly and noticed that it had no bushings. So the play was always there and I thought it was normal.

I've ordered the bushings so that I can get it setup properly.

Gil. Hernandez
'73 2002 - Fjord Blue
Austin, TX

J.

I replaced the m/c as it was leaking badly and noticed that it had no bushings. So the play was always there and I thought it was normal.

I've ordered the bushings so that I can get it setup properly.

Muffler OK? ;)

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"