• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Long Time Lurker...finally Have Some Cash To Invest...update...fresh Paint Pics!

Fretish

Your dad sounds like my kind of guy

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

He is the reason for my love of cars. So many cars around growing up......Everyone took a limo to our highschool grad....I took a perfect condition 1971 Citroen DS....limo's are for suckers!

"Lily" 1973 BMW 2002

"Frau" 2006 BMW X5 4.8is 

This is a tough choice, a 2002 that you've had for years and your enthused about getting the 2002 restored. I've been in the same boat as you. I had a 74 2002 that I brought back with me from Germany in the early 80's. After a while, my 02 started looking swiss cheese due to all the rust from imported German road salt.. I was also on the fence about restoring it or transferring everything into a clean shell. Unfortunately, I didn't have to make that decision, a red light runner killed my 02. I parted my 02 and then found a clean running 02 as part of an estate sale for less than $1K (back in 94).  You will find during your restoration a lot of rust that you didn't know existed. On the other hand, you can always go this route. 

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/4297828461.html

A running CA blue plate car that just needs paint. it's a tough choice, AMHIK.

G-Man

Edited by Gordon

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

If I were to do that and move the bumper closer to the body won't I have to cut the actual bumper as well? Wouldn't it then wrap around too far? As for the accordion rubber pieces arent those just on 74-76 cars? Or am I likely thinking the wrong thing?

Sorry - I was referring to the '74-'76 bumpers. The '73 front bumper brackets were the sturdiest, but pushed the bumper away from the car. Using earlier brackets would require different bumper ends or new holes in your fenders. Edited by John_in_VA

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Sorry - I was referring to the '74-'76 bumpers. The '73 front bumper brackets were the sturdiest, but pushed the bumper away from the car. Using earlier brackets would require different bumper ends or new holes in your fenders.

I've always enjoyed the bumperless look might run like that for a while and see how I like it. There are some ebay sellers offering replica early model or "euro" style bumpers online, dont know if I'm willing to pull the trigger on 1200 worth of replica bumpers though.

This is a tough choice, a 2002 that you've had for years and your enthused about getting the 2002 restored. I've been in the same boat as you. I had a 74 2002 that I brought back with me from Germany in the early 80's. After a while, my 02 started looking swiss cheese due to all the rust from imported German road salt.. I was also on the fence about restoring it or transferring everything into a clean shell. Unfortunately, I didn't have to make that decision, a red light runner killed my 02. I parted my 02 and then found a clean running 02 as part of an estate sale for less than $1K (back in 94).  You will find during your restoration a lot of rust that you didn't know existed. On the other hand, you can always go this route. 

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/4297828461.html

A running CA blue plate car that just needs paint. it's a tough choice, AMHIK.

G-Man

G-man, that car looks like a great deal, but the reality for me is that it will cost me at the absolute minimum an extra 2k to get the car here to Edmonton. When considering the shipping, taxes, shitty exchange rate, fees to "Canadianize" the car as well, this is all taking into account I would be buying it sight unseen or else the cost increases to have me fly down to see it. by the time it arrives I'm not sure if it would really be worth it for me. I think I'm just gonna roll with it, she is a keeper!

"Lily" 1973 BMW 2002

"Frau" 2006 BMW X5 4.8is 

I also wanted to mention, I rattled off a pretty impressive list of cars there....we were by no means rich, or poor for that matter. Those cars came into the house in some form of disrepair or another. But slowly slowly they all got fixed, worked on, maybe traded for different projects or sometimes sold to fund current ones. I guess I didn't want to give the impression that my old man walked around in a smoking jacket and pipe looking at his mega collection of cars....More like sweatpants and a button up long sleeve shirt (this is totally something we bug him about constantly), a coors lite and a ton of swearing hahahah

"Lily" 1973 BMW 2002

"Frau" 2006 BMW X5 4.8is 

what became of that Aston Martin DB5????

ohhh to have THAT car back.....

i remember spying on a shop back in 1988 where the guy was bragging that he got a whopping $10K for an old Porsche Speedster that needed some bodywork and a paint job.  it was a california car that he said was headed to Italy for the new owner.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

what became of that Aston Martin DB5????

ohhh to have THAT car back.....

i remember spying on a shop back in 1988 where the guy was bragging that he got a whopping $10K for an old Porsche Speedster that needed some bodywork and a paint job.  it was a california car that he said was headed to Italy for the new owner.

Well the car was shipped to my uncle in South America in about 1992....I sure wish it didnt happen! All that is left now is the Citroen DS and the Alfa Romeo Montreal. We just sold my Renault TS16 and my Alfa Spider as room is becoming a serious issue

"Lily" 1973 BMW 2002

"Frau" 2006 BMW X5 4.8is 

Congrats. Let us know how it works out.

I look at this differently than post people. The "do it once do it right" paradigm as applied to bodywork is very expensive. Expensive drawn-out processes have a lot of risk -- you may get sucked into it thinking $10k, and paying $10k, only to get halfway in and find it's $25k. All understandable, no one's to blame, but... risky. These things usually need to be done within the bounds of family financial needs. If there's that amount of disposable income that doesn't blow up your budget, or your relationship with your wife, or sending your kids to college, that's great, but many if not most of us have all those pressures, and they're not unreasonable pressures; it's just life and balance.

In contrast, if you have a $2k estimate for rust removal and a $1k estimate for paint, and you pull the trigger on it, and the car as-is isn't really worth much, either because you didn't pay much for it or you've had it lying around anyway, you're only taking on $3k worth of risk.

(okay, everyone can load their slingshots now. please, no actual firearms...)

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

Congrats. Let us know how it works out.

I look at this differently than post people. The "do it once do it right" paradigm as applied to bodywork is very expensive. Expensive drawn-out processes have a lot of risk -- you may get sucked into it thinking $10k, and paying $10k, only to get halfway in and find it's $25k. All understandable, no one's to blame, but... risky. These things usually need to be done within the bounds of family financial needs. If there's that amount of disposable income that doesn't blow up your budget, or your relationship with your wife, or sending your kids to college, that's great, but many if not most of us have all those pressures, and they're not unreasonable pressures; it's just life and balance.

In contrast, if you have a $2k estimate for rust removal and a $1k estimate for paint, and you pull the trigger on it, and the car as-is isn't really worth much, either because you didn't pay much for it or you've had it lying around anyway, you're only taking on $3k worth of risk.

(okay, everyone can load their slingshots now. please, no actual firearms...)

I will update the post with progress pics as it comes along. I think for a 7k total investment ( including car, new rad, new dual webber carbs, all the body work/paint, and 4 new tires) I'm going to be happy with it....those tires and rims will be up for sale soon to help fund the new stance/wheel set up. Over time will I likely over spend on it?....which one of us can say we haven't!! Thanks for all the comments, and suggestions.....There will be many more questions to come I'm sure of it, I hope I can contribute back as much as I figure I will need to take out of this site hahahah

Cheers 

"Lily" 1973 BMW 2002

"Frau" 2006 BMW X5 4.8is 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Well this is where she sits as of now, after a lot more time and a bit more cash than expected. Should be finished painting and reassembly by the end of next week. I feel like he has done a good job for what I have paid for it.....cant wait to get her out on the road!!

Decided I'm going to go with a 38/38 carb, so I have my DCOE40's up for sale!! Brand new in boxes including the split cannon manifolds!! If anyone is interested let me know...I also have a set of Euro's out there for sale. Those sales will help me fund the new carb as well as some billy sports and a new exhaust.

post-43047-0-38384400-1402163065_thumb.jpost-43047-0-67108600-1402163076_thumb.jpost-43047-0-43719800-1402163089_thumb.jpost-43047-0-84848100-1402163101_thumb.jpost-43047-0-37426700-1402163120_thumb.j

"Lily" 1973 BMW 2002

"Frau" 2006 BMW X5 4.8is 

Trade ya a nice 38 for those Webers  :lol: I sorta want to go with the DCOE's now that I put the 38 on. Looking good though!! Those repop fenders? How do they fit? I've heard mixed reviews on fit.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Trade ya a nice 38 for those Webers  :lol: I sorta want to go with the DCOE's now that I put the 38 on. Looking good though!! Those repop fenders? How do they fit? I've heard mixed reviews on fit.

Hey! Well the fenders I got from restoration design in Ontario. From what the body guy has told me they have been pretty good for fitiment etc. And for me anything I can buy from Canada is a big plus as I save on the exchange and shipping.

You should buy my 40's!!! hahaha....but seriously if you want to work a deal for your 38's plus cash let me know!

Hoping it will be done and painted by the end of next week. I cant wait to get her back. I dont think I'm going to do anything else this year as I want to be able to drive her as much as possible.....maybe the exhaust parts :) but the 5speed wont go in until the winter and I will do any suspesion tuning at that time as well....although it looks like I need new front shocks....billy sports here I come!

"Lily" 1973 BMW 2002

"Frau" 2006 BMW X5 4.8is