• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For The Vinyl Dye Aficionado

esty

So, this may be a silly question, but I think of dye being used from lighter to darker situations, but not the reverse.

Is this true of vinyl dyes, or are they more like paint, allowing a black door panel to be dyed tan, for example?

it's called and labeled vinyl dye but in reality it is vinyl paint....paint with chemicals to allow adhesion to vinyl and provide elasticity...you can change any original color vinyl to any other color with it...like painting a car, results are determined by prep

Take some before and after pics along with the color dye(paint) you used.

I'm curious as to how it comes out. I would hope it looks like the real thing and doesn't have a noticeable coated look.

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

Etsy, given your aptitude for high quality work I would really like to know the process you use in prepping and applying the paint.  I am looking to do this as well to my entire interior.  Will you be applying the paint with a air gun?  Just trying to figure out what equipment, materials I may need.

Thanks

you guys be the judge....here are a couple of pics from and old thread ...see dash, console, shift surround and shift boot (old thread, http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/90031-green-brown/

2m35qie.jpg

11awswl.jpg

las i said, prep is paramount, spraying the dye is very forgiving unless you dump an entire can in one spot anyone should be able to apply it...unless i'm spraying from a spray bomb, i use a prevale sprayer that i buy at lowe's or home depot...if you want to see more search for my red hot interior thread where i dyed seats and door panels red

I would really like to know the process you use in prepping and applying the paint.  I am looking to do this as well to my entire interior.  Will you be applying the paint with a air gun?  Just trying to figure out what equipment, materials I may need.

i start by cleaning with whatever spray cleaner i have on hand and rinsing well..then i wipe with a rag slightly dampened with lacquer thinner to make certain all oils and grease are gone...if necessary i use a brush and the cleaner to get the grain or crevices clean...then spray several light coats unil i'm satisfied with the results...if you get a run, wait, it'll absorb or evaporate, then spray more...

just a tip, you'll lose a lot of dye with an air gun, just setting it up, adjusting pressure and pattern will waste a lot of dye...the prevail sprayer is exactly like spraying from a spray can...and more light coats is much better than a couple of heavy coats

Bob...i agree on the blue but it's difficult to tell when looking at images on a pc

Esty, I recently dyed a gobi tan perforated insert black to replace a torn one in a front seat. I followed your directions, using duplicolor dye, and it came out really well. When I took it to the upholsterer, he asked if it was dyed, he could tell because he said dyes tend to dry out the material. Have you noticed this, and is there any way to restore the original flexibility of the vinyl? To me, I couldnt really tell the difference, but it does seem like the material does get a little stiffer?

Thanks,

Andy74tii

FAQ Member #126

i've never noticed any change in elasticity or pliability after dyeing vinyl...i don't know what may have caused it...i have a couple of cars that have dyed dash and other parts that have been dyed for 30 years and they still look just as good now and when i did them

you need to take care of what you use to clean them...harsh cleaners may spot or streak the dye...it's a lacquer based material...i drip's some rubbing alchohol on a door panel one time and it left spots...i just misted over it with more dye and no more spots