• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speedy Sleeve For Steering Box?

I have new seals to install, but have heard other people say that theirs still leaked after installing new seals.

Has anyone tried using a speedy sleeve on the steering box output shaft?

If so, what size did you use? 

About SPEEDY-SLEEVES: http://www.skf.com/files/264782.pdf
Metric sizes: http://www.trywhisle...stingMetric.pdf

I am by far no mechanic, but I replaced the both seals myself and have had no leakage.  At least 5 years of use so far..

To clarify my lack of knowledge: I couldn't get the old seals out, no matter how much I tugged.  I went to a local "bearing and seal" provider and he pushed the old seal IN.  Duh,  I was trying to pry them out.  Not only did that solve my problem, but he sold me the identical seals that BMW uses for a fraction of the cost of OEM.  Very educational and inexpensive fix.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

I went to a local "bearing and seal" provider and he pushed the old seal IN.  Not only did that solve my problem, but he sold me the identical seals that BMW uses for a fraction of the cost of OEM. 

Contact info?

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Contact info?? That's funny. It was 5 years ago and a little hole-in-the-wall shop that smelled like gear oil.  Kinda place that has a slippery wooden floor from years of split fluids.  Plus I'm in Canada. :-)  It's was about 10 blocks from my house but I'd have to drive around to relocate.  If it's even still there.

Bottom line is that he looked at the numbers on the original seals and pulled duplicates from his stock.  I believe you could go to any industrial seal supplier and purchase for $2-4 each. I'm pretty sure they are common metric seals.   I bought extras for my 02 buddies at the time. 

The only problem I could see you having is finding metric sizes, being in the USA.  (jab)  Just kidding.

• Like 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Paul--little known fact--bearings and seals have been made to metric dimensions here in the U.S. of A since the 30s.  I discovered to my surprise that the rear axle bearing on my '59 Renault was an interchange with a bearing from a mid-30s Chevy!  And a little 6202 ball bearing is used in the water pump and generator on the same Renault, and the compressor belt idler pulley on the US-made Frigiking A/C on my 2002....

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

As far as speedy sleeves go, I've used a bunch of these under a different brand on boat trailers at my summer job because the water pits the bearing surface too much and we need something to seal the back seal. They're a little different shape but work ok. 

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

I replaced the both seals myself and have had no leakage. At least 5 years of use so far..

a little optimism hits the spot... I am probably going to replace the seals and hope for the best.  The steering box has an easier life than a salty boat trailer!  If the shaft is visibly damaged I will try a sleeve.  I would just like to keep the down time to a minimum.  I know I saw photos of someone replacing the seals some place on here... I will start searching.  It is nice to see photos before digging in.  I will, of course, take photos to share because that is half the fun.  Tom 

I gutted my steering box and bead-blasted all the parts, but didn't take any pictures.

I'm the slowest and most careful dyi guy, to a fault.  I'm like an archeologist with a toothbrush, inspecting everything twice before removing.

...and I still screw up!

SO...

I set up a 2nd steering box on the bench to use as a guide for re-assembly.  It really helps, as the worm gear and input shaft must be lined up properly.  It's a bit of a puzzle.  Popping in the new seals is the easiest part.

Have fun.

73 Inka Tii #2762958