• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stock Or Modified

M3M3

which for $30k.....  

86 members have voted

1. 1. if you had $30k to spend on one of the below 02's, which would it be?

• $30k stock roundie tii in really nice condition
    • $30k roundie race/rally car

The hypothetical question is polarizing.  And it needs not be.

The attraction to the 2002 is its ability to be so many things to so many people.  It can be a show car restored to total originality.  It can be a drag racer, a canyon carver, a daily driver, a Sunday cruiser and everything in between.

For $30K, for a car that can perform track duty and still be a daily driver, I would build an M2 or an M20 (about 200 hp injected) on a squarie, (with big bumpers)  sunroof, 5 speed, AC, nice paint job, ($5K is plenty) stage 2 coilover suspension, 15 inch wheels.  Make if Golf yellow, mintgrun or Pastelblau.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

I have owned both, and loved my Tii. But now after rebuilding a 72 base 2002, I have changed my mind.  It's much faster than a stock Tii, and fun as hell to drive. 

Edited by chamonix

GB

looks better after a few beers, and maybe scotch, or two.

The Tii for sure, but prices are going up and a pristine show quality is about $40-$50k!!  You "I'll have two" guys must mean beer, you can't get a clean Tii and rally car for $30k anywhere these days.  Unless youre those guys on ebay who claim pristine and they are post-rust frankenstein bondo buggies : ).  Just checked a few out on the east coast and laughed all the way home

ASKING prices have gone bonkers.  Undeservingly so to, I might add.   A Tii purchased at that level, isn't for the love of the car.  Its for the love of some intangible attached to his ego.  Pat in Indianapolis BUILT an amazing example himself.  Now that's credibility, in my opinion. 

Besides, Tiis are set it and forget it.  No fun there for the hobbyist. No extracting more power.  Nothing.   And due to the inflated values, the gear up under a Tii isn't even able to be put into play.  Its like a 4x4 in the city.  pointless.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

ASKING prices have gone bonkers.  Undeservingly so to, I might add.   A Tii purchased at that level, isn't for the love of the car.  Its for the love of some intangible attached to his ego.  Pat in Indianapolis BUILT an amazing example himself.  Now that's credibility, in my opinion. 

Besides, Tiis are set it and forget it.  No fun there for the hobbyist. No extracting more power.  Nothing.   And due to the inflated values, the gear up under a Tii isn't even able to be put into play.  Its like a 4x4 in the city.  pointless.

Prices undeserving? Is the $31.6 Million for a Mercedes-Benz Type W 196 deserving? Most would say no, but if you want one, you have to pay. Its not whether you can mod it or not, it's all about what you enjoy. These cars are great, even bone stock they are fun, and some people just like their cars a certain way. You like a hotter one, others like it stock, luckily for you, you can find what you like for cheaper than what some others like.

Not pointless at all.

Regards

Jacques

'71 2002 Malaga, fun weekender

'70 2002ti Colorado, Restoration/money pit

'74 2002 turbo in my dreams, sideways...

Maybe.  But the clever will actually be able to sell their cars for more than they have in them, at any level.  If so inclined.  But we all know that a restored car purchased a 30k, has +/- 30k invested.  And very few (s)miles for the guys trouble.

But hey, we all go about it our own way, and its all good.   

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

Show or go? 

Go.  For sure.  There's plenty of time for show when we're scared and old.  Bean counter types like to justify their hobby by not using it as intended and showing a clean 'original' or restoration.  But risk takers find that value lies in the fact that you only live once, and that building it by hand and driving the shit out of it is where the payoff really lies.. Not in how much your kids will sell it for after you're dead.

Fooey on staring at it.  Give me the keys.

and, did he say 'kitten'?  ;)

:rolleyes:

I stick to my choice of a Tii.  We used to make rally style cars out of the ones that werent worth saving (80's).  You can own a nice Tii and drive the hell out of it, at least I do anyway.  Have some nice hills and a canyon on the way home from my office.  I own a Tii and a base 2002 (orig.solex 1bbl), and have owned several weber 2bbl versions.  By far, without any doubt, the Tii is much, much faster than the others.  I had to buy one to believe it.  I beat Porsches off the line (old ones, and usually people on cell phones not expecting it : ). It took two books and 3 weeks to rebuild and tune the fuel injection, but ever since it's been my after work "fun" without any problems so far.  Anyway it's up to the person, there is no catagory for an 02 owner that I've found.  If a dude wants a carpet queen to stare at, that's his thing.  It is very nice to look at that's for sure.

GB

looks better after a few beers, and maybe scotch, or two.

the 30krally/race car he mentioned (see original post) is street legal

I think it would beat the piss out of a stock tii in the twisty stuff,, the hyper agg cam might make it a pisser to start but thats part of the fun.

I would pull the stickerbomb off and paint it flat black primer HELLO JOE TUNER GUY at every stoplight, and  HELLO corvette guy at every twisty pass.